Difference in Music Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Good Morning,

Can someone explain the differences between all the software offerings Apple has for Making Music?

GarageBand & 3 Jam Packs

Soundtrack

Logic Express

Logic Pro

I am a little confused about what the difference is between all these specifically Soundtrack now that the extra Jam packs are out.

Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Well most of your questions are addressed in here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=46772

Nonetheless:

GarageBand: Cheap and easy. Good if you don't play an instrument or if you play just one at a time, e.g. lay down a guitar track, then add voice etc.

Express: more $, more features. A good step up from garage band, lets you do mutlitrack recording and mix with loops. More frills, but nor as many as Logic.

Soundtrack: Another step up from Garageband, but is best for scoring video tracks rather than recording your band.

Logic: Professional audio recording, big $$.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Well most of your questions are addressed in here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=46772

Nonetheless:

GarageBand: Cheap and easy. Good if you don't play an instrument or if you play just one at a time, e.g. lay down a guitar track, then add voice etc.

Express: more $, more features. A good step up from garage band, lets you do mutlitrack recording and mix with loops. More frills, but nor as many as Logic.

Soundtrack: Another step up from Garageband, but is best for scoring video tracks rather than recording your band.

Logic: Professional audio recording, big $$.

If someone was considering either getting all three JamPacks or Logic Express, since they are the same price, which is a better option?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    The Jam packs and Logic Express offer really quite different things. With the Jam packs your getting lots of loops and then some more software instruments. This is good if your happy composing in GB using mostly loops and maybe a midi keyboard, to take advantage of all those software instruments. Although you can also apply the new instruments to existing loops or midi tracks you download from the web.

My understanding is that Logic Express will come with a loop package etc that is larger than what is in GB, but I don't know the overlap. Nonetheless, i think the main reason to purchase LogicExpress is to get multitrack recording and a greater flexability in messing wit your compositions. I'm likely to purchase Express just to be able to to record my guitar with an internal and external mic while also being able to record voice.

I guess if your more into recording your own music than Express may be best for you. Otherwise, if your a loop-engineer then fill up on the Jam packs.