iPod Shutdown Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it normal for an iPod to shutdown completely after one day of no use?

If I don't use my iPod for about a day it shutsdown completely and when I go to use it the next time I have to wait for the Apple logo and it to restart. After that everything is fine it just is kind of bothers me that I have to wait. Sorry if this counts as the dumbest question of the year but I could not find it out anywhere.

Info 4G iPod 40g - ibook

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, I have a 3G iPod, a 15 gig one. The battery used to last a few days even when I didn't use it. Recently it's been draining faster and faster. It's about 17 months old.

But if you have a 4G and it's draining that fast, there might be a problem. Have you reset your iPod with the software utility that comes in the CD? My iPod seemed to do very weird things (like turning off on its own or something like that, can't remember but I do remember it irritated me a lot) until I reset it.

Hope that helps!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    i would reset it with iPod utility and see what that does,then re-add your music
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeff79m

Is it normal for an iPod to shutdown completely after one day of no use?

If I don't use my iPod for about a day it shutsdown completely and when I go to use it the next time I have to wait for the Apple logo and it to restart. After that everything is fine it just is kind of bothers me that I have to wait. Sorry if this counts as the dumbest question of the year but I could not find it out anywhere.

Info 4G iPod 40g - ibook

Thanks

Seems to me like monkeyastronaut and mattjohndrow didn't understand your question.

If you've been using your iPod and you press and hold play, the hard drive will spin down (if it's currently spinning) and the screen will turn off. Sliding the hold switch to on will also instantly turn off the headphone amp. The iPod will then be in sleep mode, such that sliding the hold switch off or pressing any buttons (with hold off) will instantly turn the iPod back on.

If the iPod is left in this sleep mode for more than 24 hours, it will "Shut down", so that the next time you use it, you will have to sit through the start up process. (I've just got a 4G ipod, used to have a 3G ipod. I think the time delay has been reduced from 48 (in the case of 3G) to 24 (in the case of 4G) hours, but don't quote me on that)

This is a good design move on Apple's part. When the iPod is in sleep mode, it does consume battery power, so if the iPod didn't shut down after 24 hours of non-use, the battery would drain even though you weren't using it. I suppose it would be nice to be able to change the delay time after which the iPod shuts down, and also to to be able to explicitly shut down the iPod oneself.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks Mr. H I feel better now. That is what I thought was going on I just had not read it anywhere. Thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Seems to me like monkeyastronaut and mattjohndrow didn't understand your question.

If you've been using your iPod and you press and hold play, the hard drive will spin down (if it's currently spinning) and the screen will turn off. Sliding the hold switch to on will also instantly turn off the headphone amp. The iPod will then be in sleep mode, such that sliding the hold switch off or pressing any buttons (with hold off) will instantly turn the iPod back on.

If the iPod is left in this sleep mode for more than 24 hours, it will "Shut down", so that the next time you use it, you will have to sit through the start up process. (I've just got a 4G ipod, used to have a 3G ipod. I think the time delay has been reduced from 48 (in the case of 3G) to 24 (in the case of 4G) hours, but don't quote me on that)

This is a good design move on Apple's part. When the iPod is in sleep mode, it does consume battery power, so if the iPod didn't shut down after 24 hours of non-use, the battery would drain even though you weren't using it. I suppose it would be nice to be able to change the delay time after which the iPod shuts down, and also to to be able to explicitly shut down the iPod oneself.

wow, i didn't know that, i never left it sleeping for more than 12 hours