bootup really slow

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi,

did the update 10.3.5 and since around that day, the boot up time has increased considerably! Anything we can do about this, without uninstalling the update?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Mine was not a slow boot up but the dock / finder stopped working. I had to put in the Panther disk so I could repair permissions. After that everything was good and back to normal.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 6
    will give that a try.

to be more specific, it's slow at two parts.

The first bootscreen (grey) and then the OS load screen.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    2 other things you might want to look at.

1. Is a start up disk selected. This could cause the slow start up in the grey screen.

2. If the slow start up in the blue screen is during the network initialization you might not have a valid DNS.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106797

I am on an airport network and you do not have to have the DNS for it.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thanks as well Reg for the info. Will look into that, just printed the pages you gave the link for
  • Reply 5 of 6
    repairing permissions went allright, but no improvement...

booted with shift-s and did a checkdisk... and had to use the /f to force it, as the volume was journaled

The message i got back in the end said that it couldn't repair the volume.... i guess the harddisk is going?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

and had to use the /f to force it, as the volume was journaled...

Even people keep saying "journaled hd" doesn't bother the overall performance, indeed it does. My< experience.

Try switching off "journaling hd". Therefor use the diskrepair util, which comes with Mac OS X.

Perhaps this is a non issue with G5 system, but G4 Systems feel the difference, especially with networking.