Quicktime to DVD - preserve aspect ratio?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I downloaded all the quicktime trailers for my local cinemas from the quicktime web site and burnt them to DVD using iDVD. Then went home to watch them with my wife to decide which to go to see. Unfortunatly some are 1:1.85 some are 1:2.35 and other ratios in between.

Is there a way to burn these to a DVD, byut to preserve the aspect ratio? I either need to add blackbars top and bottom or add blackbars and compress the width to make them anamorphic.

Is there a cheap and easy solution to this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I downloaded all the quicktime trailers for my local cinemas from the quicktime web site and burnt them to DVD using iDVD. Then went home to watch them with my wife to decide which to go to see. Unfortunatly some are 1:1.85 some are 1:2.35 and other ratios in between.

Is there a way to burn these to a DVD, byut to preserve the aspect ratio? I either need to add blackbars top and bottom or add blackbars and compress the width to make them anamorphic.

Is there a cheap and easy solution to this problem?

Well nothing I can think can be justified for a DVD of movie trailers, but if you have Adobe After Effects you can go through and fake widescreen and just put the trailers in a regular DV sized canvas and leave the black bars, or you can get DVD studio pro 3 and play around with widescreen DVDs. Really, I would say just watch them on your computer--they're just trailers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I download them at the office with fast broadband, burn and watch at home, and on Wednesday we go to the movies. Crowding around an iMac screen isn't an option really.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    iDVD doesn't officially allow you to set a movie to 16:9, but I think there's a way to do it...I just don't remember how.

Alternatively, if you have QuickTime Pro, you can create a a solid black 4:3 image file that is the same width as the trailer. 480x360 for a 480x288 trailer for example. Then "add scaled" the image 'track' to the trailer file. You will have to reorder the layers because the black image will be on top of the video.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Thanks Eugene, that was what I was looking for. I have been playing around with Quicktime pro, and couldn't do anything except crop the films.