File "Info" under Open?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When in a program and selecting File, then Open, to search for then open a file, I'm unable to select a file, then right-click on it to get more info about that specific file to get confirmation that it is the one that I want.

Is there something that I need to turn on to allow me to do this or is it impossible to do so in OSX?

When I run Windows and select File, then Open, I can right-click on a file just like when it is on the desktop or in a file folder. I was also in Windows able to delete a file under Open just as any other time, but I'm unable to do this under File/Open as well.

What am I missing? Does anyone else miss this feature?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    If I want to manage files, I use the Finder. If I want to open files, I use cmd-O.

The ensuing Open window is not meant to be a replacement for the Finder.

This is Apple's approach to software design: modularity with a specific purpose. It's without a doubt different than Microsoft's monolithic, swiss-army knife design philosophy, but most here will argue that it's better, including me.

In regards to your issue, I usually just use the Finder to open files anyways, instead of going to File > Open. From there I can choose what program to open with by right-clicking, Open With, etc. From the Finder, I have greater control that you are speaking of, too. I can delete files, move files, etc., all while I'm navigating to the file I'm looking to open.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, the Open/Save dialog as just another Finder window was to be one of the big enhancements in Copland before it was cancelled.

Oh, and again in Rhapsody.

And then again in an early MacOS X 10.0 build.

Basically, while it sounds like a really slick idea, once you actually get around to implementing it, it turns into a usability quagmire. :/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Actually, the Open/Save dialog as just another Finder window was to be one of the big enhancements in Copland before it was cancelled.

Oh, and again in Rhapsody.

And then again in an early MacOS X 10.0 build.

Basically, while it sounds like a really slick idea, once you actually get around to implementing it, it turns into a usability quagmire. :/

i would at least like to see the ability to rename files in the open/save dialog.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i would at least like to see the ability to rename files in the open/save dialog.

I second that!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    You guys need to use Default Folder X
  • Reply 6 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

If I want to manage files, I use the Finder. If I want to open files, I use cmd-O.

Or drag the file to the app's Dock icon. Hold down Cmd-Opt to force the app to open it (if you want to open a PDF in Safari, or a .txt in Excel, for instance). I find that's way faster than selecting the app, choosing File:Open, and re-navigating to a folder that I probably already have open in the Finder anyway. You can also open any number of files at once by just dragging them all. I've grown to appreciate the Dock.