Student discount program

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My studentID id dates 2003 with no exp date. will they take it at the apple store or do i have to get one dated 2004?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by agallant

My studentID id dates 2003 with no exp date. will they take it at the apple store or do i have to get one dated 2004?

you probably need a 2004 one--they're not that naive.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I still have my same student ID I had from when I was a freshman, I am now a senior. The apple store took it, they might have some connection with the school to see if you are still currently enrolled or something I would think.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 4 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I think if you order online, there's no formal check at all. But in the Apple Stores they'll ask to see (and photocopy?) your ID.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    the last time i ordered online from apple i had to fax in a copy of my student id, or else they would have charged me full price. When I purchased my ibook last january at an apple store, the asked for it again, and they made a photocopy of it. BUT, your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    The student discount scheme isn't exactly fool proof and doesn't require extensive checks.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK you can only access the online education store through your academic institution. However, there is a very easy way round this by asking a friend or a relative who is a student or who works for an academic institution to place the order for you or to give the hotline a call. All Apple need is an ac.uk email address to confirm the order. At the end of the day Apple are in the business of selling computer not on checking up on people.

My girlfriend phoned up with her details for the first part of the order and then handed the phone to me to give them the spec I wanted. The whole order is in her name, but it is my credit card details that is on the apple system.

Come to think of it, I better be nice to my GF or she can cancel my order
  • Reply 7 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolypoly

The student discount scheme isn't exactly fool proof and doesn't require extensive checks.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK you can only access the online education store through your academic institution. However, there is a very easy way round this by asking a friend or a relative who is a student or who works for an academic institution to place the order for you or to give the hotline a call. All Apple need is an ac.uk email address to confirm the order. At the end of the day Apple are in the business of selling computer not on checking up on people.

My girlfriend phoned up with her details for the first part of the order and then handed the phone to me to give them the spec I wanted. The whole order is in her name, but it is my credit card details that is on the apple system.

Come to think of it, I better be nice to my GF or she can cancel my order

Wrong.

You can only access the higher education store from the institution. This has greater discounts than the regular education store (but only by a few %).

You can access the regular education store from anywhere.

All you need to enter is the name and city of your school/college. They don't need a fax of any proof. I have bought many things this way, including multiple Macs, ipods, accessories and stuff - no trouble at all. I even bought stuff when I was under 18, which is against the rules - but they didn't check.

This is my experience from the UK.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    y ea i ordered my powerbook from apple.com education store, and they required no check
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You are absolutely right. I had never tried that link before. Just did and it worked a treat, no check required. I'll keep that one in mind for future orders.

Thanks for the tip!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amorya

[B]Wrong.

You can access the regular education store from anywhere.

All you need to enter is the name and city of your school/college. They don't need a fax of any proof.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

this means that this was my experience, it may not be yours, it happened to me, but it might not happen to you.