ATi X800 - For Mac! Runs the 30" Cinema!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10...src=mcrss-1004

Dual DVI

ADC

And (here's the clincher, folks): It takes up only one slot.

It reminds me of that song: "It's everything you want / it's's everything you need..."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    NVidia is going to kick themselves for not getting those 6800s out the door...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I've always preferred ATi over nVIDIA. This is a really welcomed news to me.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jiminy C.

I've always preferred ATi over nVIDIA. This is a really welcomed news to me.

I don't really care either way, but ADC and 1-slot card space is gonna sell it to me.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mattbmattb Posts: 59member
    Cancelling my July 6800 Ultra order right now.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    nevermind
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mattbmattb Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

If Apple could get either of them to perform well compared to the PC versions I'd still go with the Nvidia.

Well the on the PC side NVidia seems to have better OpenGL performance but ATI has been catching with each driver release. Personally on the Mac I prefer ATI cards and the long wait for my still non existant 6800 Ultra has really soured me towards NVidia even more.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by MattB

Well the on the PC side NVidia seems to have better OpenGL performance but ATI has been catching with each driver release. Personally on the Mac I prefer ATI cards and the long wait for my still non existant 6800 Ultra has really soured me towards NVidia even more.

I thought long and hard about the 6800 card, and finally decided to get it. My perfect G5 machine would have needed to have 4 PCI slots anyway, in order or it to be able to do everything I wanted it to (my work Mac - a dual 1.25 G4 has 4 slots, 3 for the Pro Tools cards, and one for the Ultra SCSI card). Seeing as the G5 would never have been able to accommodate these needs even *with* a conventionally sized graphics card like the X800 I'm not going to lose any sleep. That combined with the fact that this G5 2.5 w/6800 is the fastest thing I've ever seen in my life doesn't have me disappointed in the least. Of course, if the X800 ends up costing $200 I might frown a bit.

• Reply 8 of 22
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

Of course, if the X800 ends up costing $200 I might frown a bit.

That won't happen

I think the cheapest ones on the PC side (non XT or Pro) cost around $300.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

That won't happen

I think the cheapest ones on the PC side (non XT or Pro) cost around $300.

Even if it's $400 or even $500, it's still cheaper, especially if you need to use an ADC display, which would otherwise need an $100 DVI/ADC adapter.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    It would be intersting to know the noise levels coming from the two cards.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

It would be intersting to know the noise levels coming from the two cards.

I'm taking a wild guess that the X800 will be much quieter, considering that it produces a fraction of the heat and thus requires a less robust cooling system.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I may be interested in that ATI card, for my dual G4 867 MHz. Do you think it should be possible to use that card with this Mac, to drive the Apple 17" LCD ?

I currently have the GeForce 4 MX card with only 32 MB of VRam, and it trully sucks. I need a much better card, with the ADC connector.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

I may be interested in that ATI card, for my dual G4 867 MHz. Do you think it should be possible to use that card with this Mac, to drive the Apple 17" LCD ?

I currently have the GeForce 4 MX card with only 32 MB of VRam, and it trully sucks. I need a much better card, with the ADC connector.

I'd go with the 9800 Pro Mac Edition. It's the best card that still supports AGP 4x. The X800 will most likely be AGP 8X, and if it's not, it'll be limited by the 4x bandwidth.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'd go with the 9800 Pro Mac Edition. It's the best card that still supports AGP 4x. The X800 will most likely be AGP 8X, and if it's not, it'll be limited by the 4x bandwidth.

Well, that web page doesn't say the 9800 Pro Mac has a ADC connector. I'm using the Apple 17" LCD, which needs the ADC.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

Well, that web page doesn't say the 9800 Pro Mac has a ADC connector. I'm using the Apple 17" LCD, which needs the ADC.

It does, that's the only thing that makes it "Mac Edition".
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

And if not that, it'll be limited by the dogslow G4 processors.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

It does, that's the only thing that makes it "Mac Edition".

Are you sure on this ? On ATI web pages, the 9800 pro Mac edition for G4 don't say anything about the ADC, while the 9800 pro Mac SPECIAL EDITION FOR G5 says it has ADC. And when I'm talking about this to some Mac store sailer, the guy try to sell me an ADC connector-converter.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Oh dear, you're right. Sorry about that.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Will the fact that this Mac X800 is an AGP card rather than the PC version's PCI Express reduce its performance?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Will the fact that this Mac X800 is an AGP card rather than the PC version's PCI Express reduce its performance?

I just got the X800 Pro AGP version for my new AMD 64 2.2Ghz system (for games only guys) and the card is mad fast. (runs all games @1600X1200 with all settings on high with 4X AA and 8X Antistropic no problem), I don't think the lack of PCI Express version on the G5 will matter. This card is really fast and the XT is about 35% faster still. Also the card is really quiet unlike the 6800 doggie which gets really hot!