Problem with OSX Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Need tech help for a persistant glitch in the junk mail filter in OSX...

The "NOT JUNK MAIL " button has disappeared from my TOOLBAR ICONS LIST and I'm unable to use it to designate incoming mail as JUNK so the automatic filtering system can learn what is and is NOT junk...

I'v searched everywhere for the darn thing!

What steps should I take to get it back???

I'm on an iMac with Jaguar 10.3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    With *ANY* toolbar in MacOS X, you can Cmd-opt-click on the lozenge top right in the titlebar, and that brings up a customization sheet.

Drag and drop the items you want, in the order you want, right onto the toolbar. Click the Done bottom right when you have it the way you want. You can move things around, remove them, whatever.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for the input!!!

Problem is, I've tried that but the icon "NOT JUNK MAIL " is missing from the list of icons. I'm wondering if I need to reinstall the MAIL program?

If so where do I find it?? On the Install disc? Since it comes packaged with the entire OSX intall...I don't really want to totally reinstall the OS!!??

I can't figure out why that one particular icon is missing from the set.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    There is only one icon that says Junk Mail. In the junk folder, there is an option / button to flag a mail as not-junk. This option is available per message.

I don't have access to OS-X at work, so I am not able to give you the full details.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Tim,

Is it possible that junk mail filtering got turned off? Check your mail preferences to see if it is indeed turned on or not. Just a thought.

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 5 of 8
    What talksense said and to clarify further....

When you're in a folder other than the Junk folder the icon in the toolbar will be "Junk". When you're in the Junk folder it will change to "Not Junk". Think about it. Makes sense, right? As long as you've got the "Junk" icon everything is fine.

And 10.3 is Panther not Jaguar.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    In other words, the "junk" icon in the toolbar is a toggle, like a light switch. It toggles a selected message's status as either junk mail or not junk mail. Same icon, two conditions that are exclusive of one another.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Right-click (or option-click) on the message to be marked as Junk. There it says 'mark as junk mail'. It will then mark it and send it to the Junk mail folder. Next time it will be send automatically to the Junk folder.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to help!!!!

Much appreciated