How to make an alias appear as a normal folder?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Was wondering if there would be a way to make an alias on the desktop that poins to a folder I have on another drive but to do it without it having the little arrow on it. Reason being is I keep my desktop icons large because I like 'em that way. So, is there any way to get rid of the shortcut arrow? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    A quick hack would probably be to paste a "normal" Folder Icon over that linked Folder.

Not sitting at my Mac at the moment so dont blame me if it doesnt work

• Reply 2 of 3
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Weltpremiere

A quick hack would probably be to paste a "normal" Folder Icon over that linked Folder.

Not sitting at my Mac at the moment so dont blame me if it doesnt work

It wouldn't work... The arrow is overlayed on whatever icon is beneath. The only way this'd work, IMO, is if you hacked the arrow icon system resource away, but that would get rid of all alias arrows everywhere.

How about this? Create a small, self-contained AppleScript application that launches the specified folder in the Finder, and then paste a normal folder icon onto the AppleScript application. Voila! Problem solved.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    This is something that would be very useful for me, too. In Windows they have "TweakUI" for this purpose.. do we have anything similiar in OS X? Will Tinkertool do it?