Cheap iBook Power Adaptor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Today at work I found an old iBook (year or two old). I asked my boss if I use it as a work machine around campus. He told me I could, but the problem is the iBook power adaptor is broken. More correctly I should say the power cable somehow got ripped out of the power adaptor. If I get a new adaptor the iBook is mine to use (as a work machine).

I went to Apple's store to price how much one would be expecting it to be somewhat cheap, but of course it wasn't. Apple is selling the iBook power adaptor for $71, so is it possible to get a cheaper power adaptor (maybe a 3rd party one)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Here

Look on that site. They have adapters for iBook G3 and iBook G4 on there. All of which are cheaper then the $75 Apple one. Even though it says PowerBook AC Adapters read the description of each one and you will see iBook several times. Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Just thought to look on the box for the system specs (doesn't say if it?s a G3 or G4), so I'll leave that up to you guys:
    • 600/WHT/384/20G/DVD-CDRW/ll-LL

• Mac OS 9/ Mac OS X

• Model no: M6497

• Reply 3 of 19
    That would be a G3 Processor iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That happens a lot to those power cables - they're very poorly made IMO. But Apple replaced mine free last year, so you could try bitching a little and see if you can get it replaced free. Apparently it's not a rare occurrence.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I just got to thinking this may have been one of those iBooks with the bad logic boards (whatever that recall was about a while back). Do you guys know where I can go to check?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    If you go to http://www.apple.com and scroll down you will see this link right here on the page:

Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program (6/18/2004)

I have an iBook G3 800Mhz and I never bothered to get it fixed, and it is one of those models, let me know if you think it's worth it. I have an iMac G4, PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, and a Windowz XP Laptop with an Intel Centrino Mobile Technology in it so what I'm saying is I don't really need my iBook G3 but if you have no problems getting it fixed let me know and I will get mine done as well. Thanks, Hope that helps.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Thanks, another thought occurred, and it's about the version of OS X. Once I get this iBook fixed I'm expecting to see the first version of OS X. So would it be worth putting on the latest version of OS X (OS X 10.3) on a 600 MHz laptop? I'm thinking it will run pretty slow.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I run 10.3.5 on my 800Mhz G3 iBook and it's not that slow. Granted it is slow because it has 128MB of RAM and I have the Adobe Creative Suite installed on it along with the Macromedia Studio MX 2004 Suite (I'm a college kid, got to love the discounts). But in all honesty I love my G3 laptop for notes since it's so small (12") and I have Office 2004 on there. It's actually pretty darn good for being what it is
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I guess with 256MB+ of RAM this iBook should be able to handle Panther. Even though it is 600 MHz (which is the minimum CPU needed to run OS X 10.3 for the iBook). Does Apple offer a lower price of OS X (full version)?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    They have education discounts, if you are in education and they usually sell for $69. I have "heard" that if you go to the apple store and select education and then choose the college that you go to that they do not check it and anyone can get the college discount, that it is on an honor system. I am a student so I don't know this for sure but I do like the price break. Like I said all that is what I have "heard" don't quote me on any of that.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I'm also a college student, so I guess the sure fire way would be to go check tomorrow on campus.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    If you are a college student as well go to www.apple.com/store

After that select Education on the left hand side, Shop for yourself, Find Your College or University, and continue on with the steps. You will then be given the student discounts and if you look at Mac OS X Panther it's $69. Enjoy.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Thanks, I used my friends AC Adaptor to power up the iBook for a while and everything seems to work just fine. One thing that I didn't notice that he pointed out was how dirty the keyboard was. Seriously the keyboard looks like it's growing hair (human/animal hair under the keys, food stains, etc...) I feel I have to wash my hands just talking about it.

I found a site that tells you how to remove the keys on the iBook to clean the bottom of the keyboard tray, but it seems pretty risky to me.

Click Here
  • Reply 14 of 19
    It's honestly not that hard to clean, I did that without even thinking about it. But then again I am use to ripping computers apart without thinking about it. I say do it then you won't cringe when you see it
  • Reply 15 of 19
    It took me a few hours (I was taking my time), but the iBook is as clean as I can get it. I really appreciate all the help you've given me O4BlackWRX, but I have one more question regarding the iBook.

Would it worth my time to upgrade the HD in the iBook to something larger (currently it's at 20GB)?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Personal recommendation, get an external firewire HD. I built my own by going to newegg.com and getting an external enclosure and then putting in a 250 GB HD into it and the whole thing cost me $200. Internal laptop HD"s are so expensive I say it's not worth upgrading the internal one no. I have a 30GB in my iBook and I use my external for everything.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Do you think I should upgrade the RAM later on?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I bought one last month from other world computing $35

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...em=MICACADPTG4

Works great.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    idea: check out the Radio shack iGo system.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=273-1867

Works in planes, walls, and car sokets.

And it is universal