Audio in on a G4 quicksilver.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know why I'd want to, but if I did want to get my Mic or line in ports back on my recently purchased G4 quicksilver, what is the best (and cheapest) way to do this? Isn't there a USB thingy? Cost, links, or advice would be great. Thx.

Oh, btw, running 10.2 so you can think compatibility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I am running a QS G4 867 also. Get the Griffin iMic for simple USB audio I/O. There are others available but I think this is the lowest cost and it is known to work really well in both OS 9 and OS X. The iMic has a switch to allow either line level inputs or mic level inputs. Griffin is beta testing software (Final Vinyl) which will allow you to connect a turntable directly to the iMic. You should be able to find one for roughly $35. They also have a version called Powermate which can drive unpowered speakers.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    buggybuggy Posts: 83member
    I am not sure what you are asking...

if you mean you don't want to reach around to the back???

then go to Radio Shack and buy a very short 1/8" stereo jack extension cord and duct tape it to the side of your machine... can't cost you more than $3.

I use the Griffin iMic on those stupid G4's that didn't come with audio in for a couple of years. It works fine. But there is nothing like having a real input.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Buggy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Buggy:

<strong>I am not sure what you are asking...

if you mean you don't want to reach around to the back???

then go to Radio Shack and buy a very short 1/8" stereo jack extension cord and duct tape it to the side of your machine... can't cost you more than $3.

I use the Griffin iMic on those stupid G4's that didn't come with audio in for a couple of years. It works fine. But there is nothing like having a real input.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Buggy ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

The model I have has no audio in. I have gathered from your advice that the iMic is the best choice. Thx agiain guys!

• Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Buggy:

<strong>

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Buggy ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This means what? The iMic is not a "real" input? Being outside of the noisy box it is theoretically quieter than an audio input on the tower itself, if that is what you mean by a "real" input.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    neutrino23:

I don't think you understand the situation here.

The Digital Audio and Quicksilver lines of Power Macs do not have ANY port for a microphone or line in audio. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

That's why they need a 3rd party device, such as the Griffin iMic, that can pipe an audio input in the computer by some other means. In this case, it uses USB.

He says, "there is nothing like having real input," because having a *real* input port on the actual Mac would be easier and mean not having to buy and screw around with these 3rd party add-ons.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The MacAlly iVoiceII just came out and it has a built in mic and a line in port also. Just passing the info...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>neutrino23:

I don't think you understand the situation here.

The Digital Audio and Quicksilver lines of Power Macs do not have ANY port for a microphone or line in audio. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

That's why they need a 3rd party device, such as the Griffin iMic, that can pipe an audio input in the computer by some other means. In this case, it uses USB.

He says, "there is nothing like having real input," because having a *real* input port on the actual Mac would be easier and mean not having to buy and screw around with these 3rd party add-ons.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I understand that having built-in audio is more convenient than adding a third party device, however, the iMic is as good or better an input device than the audio typically built in on a Mac. I use one on my G4 Quicksilver (which has no native audio input) and I sometimes use it on my Pismo (which does have audio input) as it has more features.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Just to chime in as an Audio professional:

The iMic is actually capable of being a far better audio input device than the standard onboard audio in on ANY Mac. Aside from the aforementioned aspect of being outside of the box, which reduces electronic "noise", resulting in a cleaner signal. The iMic is also capable of delivering 24bit audio, provided the application you're using supports it as well.

All in all a VERY capable device.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Talking of applications, what applications do people use to record under X? Under OS9 I'm using MusicMatch, but I haven't found a reasonably priced recorder under X.

Comments anybody?

David
  • Reply 10 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I am not a fan of the built in audio in on some Mac systems.

All in all, I find iMic's audio capture quality way better than the analogue in from the older Macs
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by iMac David:

<strong>Talking of applications, what applications do people use to record under X? Under OS9 I'm using MusicMatch, but I haven't found a reasonably priced recorder under X.

Comments anybody?

David</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just go to Version Tracker OS X and search for audio. There are now a bunch of applications that record nicely under OS X. Earlier on I had trouble recording smoothly in X but since 10.2 recording works well.

Griffin (iMic maker) has a beta program out called Final Vinyl. It looks nice and presumably will be free. It will include a feature to let you hook a phonograph directly to the microphone input of an iMic. The software includes the correct compensation to allow recording this way.

There are one or more free programs out there for recording.

Audiocorder is not free but it can be controlled by AppleScript which is a very helpful feature.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>Griffin (iMic maker) has a beta program out called Final Vinyl. It looks nice and presumably will be free.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd say that's a fair bet, since it pops up a "No Griffin Audio device detected!" message until you've plugged one in.

I'm using the beta, and it's very nice for what's there so far: looks good too. However, for waveform editing I'm using <a href="http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/"; target="_blank">Sound Studio</a>. Not free, but not half bad (and more than adequate for the sort of stuff I fiddle about with).