No more Velvet Revolver!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Velvet Revolver has been removed from iTMS. WTF??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They will sometimes re-encode the music, add more stuff (bonus tracks, new artist page) etc after a couple of weeks. I've seen this a few times before.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Still waiting for the return of Radiohead......
  • Reply 3 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Try looking for "Hey Mama" from Black Eyed Peas too.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Still waiting for the return of Radiohead......

Radiohead has been on iTMS?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    all music by Usher has been removed as well... now they readded the "confessins" album again but no other music yet... strange...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    I think something is busted. Looking for Sarah McLachlan on the UK store showed only two albums but spread over the page like others were there but invisible, and those were missing any actual tracks.

Oooops!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

Radiohead has been on iTMS?

Yup, for something like the first three days of its existence. Then it got pulled. They use powerbooks on-stage for crying out loud!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    They only had Ok Computer on in the earlier phases on iTunes, but that got pulled. Supposedly, Radiohead is against selling music online. I've read they view their work of art as a whole album, and are against people just buying individual songs. There are quite a few bands who refuse to sell their work online. Those who have any say with their record companies, anyway.

In a way I kind of agree with them. Radiohead are one of the few bands that work really hard to make a good "album" rather than a couple of good songs and everything else being filler crap. I also really enjoy the art work they have on their CD's and especially the special editions. I'll gladly pay a little more for that.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Yup, for something like the first three days of its existence. Then it got pulled. They use powerbooks on-stage for crying out loud!

I read they disagree with the buying by the track concept, and that they don't want their recordings listened to away from the whole conception.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I don't know. I mean, you can still easily by the whole album.

Is Radiohead really of the impression that people only listen to their albums as a whole, and never make mix CD's?

The "we don't want people buying individual tracks" reason (if that is in fact the reason) seems a bit high and mighty to me. Who are they to dictate how we should listen to their music?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Couldn't they just put an "Album only" restriction on their work if they so desired?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Couldn't they just put an "Album only" restriction on their work if they so desired?

Apple wants to strongly encourage near-total participation in single-track sales. If Apple cut a special deal with Radiohead then everyone else would start demanding the same treatment, and the whole deal would fall apart.

The only reason there are any album-only tracks is that Apple has given everyone, without special treatment, the option of selling certain tracks as album-only if those tracks exceed a certain length (something like 7-8 minutes, I think).
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

The "we don't want people buying individual tracks" reason (if that is in fact the reason) seems a bit high and mighty to me. Who are they to dictate how we should listen to their music?

Well, this is Radiohead we're talking about here. I love 'em, but they can be a trifle pompous. And I don't see them refusing to let radio play single songs.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Velvet Revolver has been removed from iTMS. WTF??

You just have to uncheck the good taste filter option!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Apple wants to strongly encourage near-total participation in single-track sales. If Apple cut a special deal with Radiohead then everyone else would start demanding the same treatment, and the whole deal would fall apart.

The only reason there are any album-only tracks is that Apple has given everyone, without special treatment, the option of selling certain tracks as album-only if those tracks exceed a certain length (something like 7-8 minutes, I think).

incorrect. John Mayer's live releases are entirely album only.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Never will there be any whole CD's only at the ITMS.

Here is the fact. If they did it that way I would start downloading free tracks again.

EITHER MOST MUSIC ARTISTS ARE NOT AS TALENTED AS THEY THINK THEY ARE, OR THEY ARE TRUELY JUST RIP-OFF ARTISTS.

There is no way in h3ll I would buy a whole CD from radio (crack) head. They suck (soccer) balls.

Back to what I was going to say.

The fact is that people were just fed up of the years of donations made to music companies, and bands for whole CD's that you only like 1 song on to begin with.

I call it donations, because if your made to buy 9, to 15 songs you should like all of them. How many artists were actually that good? I can come up with a handful, but I made this list in my had a while back when thinking about this another time. Madonna, Van Halen, Boston, The Beetles, the Beach Boys, Early Metallica (1st 2, or 3 CD's), RUN DMC - King of Rock, Beastie Boys - License to ill. Black sabbath (everything with Ozzy) There are not many, but there are others.

The list of those who have 1, or 2 good songs on a CD is much easier to compile. I'll Put RadioHead at #1 on that list, and thousands upon thousands fall right into place behind them.

When I downloaded freely I never really felt that bad about what I was taking because: A) I had probably already bought it, and was just backing it up. ( <- 99% of my downloads) or B) Those record companies, and musicians already scammed me on few thousand CD's, Tapes, and Vinyl so grabbing a couple singles that had no other good songs on that CD didn't phase me a bit.

Radio Head is one of the bands that is partly talentless, and will never release a full CD without a bunch of filler songs. Therefore they believe that selling a $12 CD instead of letting people pull the one, or two tracks they like for 99¢ is their way telling you that they are not really that great, and will never achieve a level of true greatness.

U2 on the other hand should have been on my list, so consider them there now.

my 2¢
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Radio Head is one of the bands that is partly talentless, and will never release a full CD without a bunch of filler songs. Therefore they believe that selling a $12 CD instead of letting people pull the one, or two tracks they like for 99¢ is their way telling you that they are not really that great, and will never achieve a level of true greatness.

Yeah, sure.

It's funny, because in interviews, Thom Yorke has always supported iTunes.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ah, "Hey Mama" and a shitload of stuff that was missing are back.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by trowa

They only had Ok Computer on in the earlier phases on iTunes, but that got pulled.

you couldn't even buy the entire OK Computer! but this is a band that survived and flourished w/ really only one single, their first - Creep - so iTunes sales won't make or break them. Believe it or not they've earned their rep w/ incredible live shows.

speaking of iTunes - is there a band that has taken advantage of it as smartly as U2?? exclusives from the start, first single a commercial,digital box set and U2 iPod! amazing...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i actually see velvet revolver in germanys itms. no radiohead though.

they recently added stuff from saddlecreek records too which makes up for everthing else they still miss.