New iBook vs. Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need to purchase a new mobile system before the end of the year. I wanted to go with a 15" Powerbook until I saw this:

A 12" iBook:

1.2 GHz/768 MB/80 GB/Combo Drive

$1264 (Educational discount)

A 15" Powerbook:

1.33 GHz/512 MB/80 GB/Combo Drive

$2002 (Educational discount)

Is 130 MHz and 3.2" more screen space worth $738!? And with less RAM!? That just doesn't seem competitive to me. The only thing that worries me is the ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 with 32 MB Video RAM on the iBook. I don't play games (this is my work system) except for crossword puzzles on MacXword, so the video card doesn't really matter for my needs, but I know that Tiger will "require" a Core Image complaint video card for features like Dashboard, etc. I may not even upgrade to Tiger, however, so the iBook might work perfectly. Not sure yet...

I've seen those Aluminum Powerbooks get pretty dinged up, too. The plastic iBooks seem much more rugged.

Any opinions on what I should get? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    The 3" lcd screen real estate DOES make a big difference, especially if you're doing eye-intensive work.

The HD upgradeability is much easier on a powerbook, the RAM is faster (DDR 333 vs. 266), it comes with BT, a lighted keyboard, gigabyte support, Firewire 800, dual/mirror screen capability, and DVI outputs among others. There's actually a lot more with the powerbook; the question is what do you really need?

It sounds like the iBook is right for you - you really can't go wrong.

Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

I need to purchase a new mobile system before the end of the year. I wanted to go with a 15" Powerbook until I saw this:

A 12" iBook:

1.2 GHz/768 MB/80 GB/Combo Drive

$1264 (Educational discount)

A 15" Powerbook:

1.33 GHz/512 MB/80 GB/Combo Drive

$2002 (Educational discount)

Is 130 MHz and 3.2" more screen space worth $738!? And with less RAM!? That just doesn't seem competitive to me. The only thing that worries me is the ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 with 32 MB Video RAM on the iBook. I don't play games (this is my work system) except for crossword puzzles on MacXword, so the video card doesn't really matter for my needs, but I know that Tiger will "require" a Core Image complaint video card for features like Dashboard, etc. I may not even upgrade to Tiger, however, so the iBook might work perfectly. Not sure yet...

I've seen those Aluminum Powerbooks get pretty dinged up, too. The plastic iBooks seem much more rugged.

Any opinions on what I should get? Thanks.

• Reply 2 of 19
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think Dashboard can take advantage of CoreImage (the only CI type effect it uses AFAIK is the little whirlpool effect on a widget entry), but it's not required. Not having a graphics card that can take advantage of CI is not a dealbreaker by any means. All that will happen is certain items will be CPU processed instead of GPU accelerated.

The iBook should be fine for you. cj's already outlined the differences.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    I've read through some other iBook vs. Powerbook postings and noticed that some people say that the iBook actually has better battery life (not real surprising considering they have slower processors, etc.) and better wireless reception (something to do with the antennas?). Are those two thing true?

If that's the case... I think the iBook will be a better choice for me since it is a portable system. Is the plastic on the iBook more rugged than the Aluminum on the Powerbooks? Just wondering...

Wish they had put a NVidia GeForce FX in there...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I'm hoping to pick up a laptop in the very near future, and I'm not even considering the Powerbooks at this point.

Of course, I'm a University student, so budget is definately a factor, but I see little reason to buy a 12" Powerbook instead of a 12" iBook - $650 CND difference in price gets you:

- Firewire 800

- DVI out

- integrated Bluetooth

- not much else

Don't get me wrong, the 15" Powerbook is pretty damn sweet, but it's overkill for my purposes.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    The plastic cases on the iBook SEEM more rugged ... probably no real difference in durability ... but the plastic just doesn't show scratches as obviously as the Aluminum. It also won't DENT like the aluminum can (and would have to take a much harder impact to crack the plastic.)

As for reception, my experience has been that my old clamshell iBook get's noticeably better reception than my Fatherinlaws aluminim pBook (15"). Possibly the aluminum case attenuates the signal slightly ?

(but this new iMac get's better reception than the old iBook)
  • Reply 6 of 19
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Please, please upgrade your RAM and hard drive yourself. If you do that you'll save a few hundred dollars.

I wouldn't do the hard drive upgrade unless you want to void your warranty. The Aluminium PowerBooks don't have user-replaceable hard drives like the Titanium PowerBooks did.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Anyone know if there are any other changes toi the new I-book besides the processor upgrade anmd built-in airport?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Anyone know if there are any other changes toi the new I-book besides the processor upgrade anmd built-in airport?

Would you buy the Apple memory upgrade for $180, installed (student price), or get the memory from Crucial (137.50 not installed). I guess the question is: is the Crucial memory better quality, and is that worth taking the risk of installing it myself and havin any potential negative impact on the warranty should something go wrong?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Well, RAM is meant to be user-upgraded in modern Apple notebook computers, and Crucial RAM is good in my book. You shouldn't have a problem, and apple.com and the computer's manual have detailed instructions.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    save some real money and get this. I put it in my brand new 12" iBook, and it's perfect...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-106&depa=0

[edit]they also have the 333MHz version (same price) for the powerbooks. and yes, others have used these in mac laptops and posted positive reviews.[/edit]
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

As for reception, my experience has been that my old clamshell iBook get's noticeably better reception than my Fatherinlaws aluminim pBook (15"). ...

Yeah, chicks all gravitated toward white plastic NOW, so hurry up.

This weekend i had the occasion to work with an ibook 1ghz. The iBook is a beauty thoroughly. Speedwise it is/was nearly on par with my PB 1Ghz too.

The only difference to the PB i noticed instantly: KEYBOARD QUALITY.

Typing on my PB is a true pleasure.

Typing on the iBook was a pain, really.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    So I went to my local Apple Store to take a look at the iBook... it's ugly. I really don't like it. It didn't help that the only new iBook 1.2 GHz they had out had been WAY overused and was dirty... really dirty. But those circle speakers and such... just turned me off to it. I think the 15.2" PowerBook may adorn my lap instead. I wasn't looking to spend that much money, but... I just can't resist. It's a BEAUTIFUL machine, fairly powerful (I know, I know) and it should last me for years to come.

'Tis life...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Yeah, chicks all gravitated toward white plastic NOW, so hurry up.

This weekend i had the occasion to work with an ibook 1ghz. The iBook is a beauty thoroughly. Speedwise it is/was nearly on par with my PB 1Ghz too.

The only difference to the PB i noticed instantly: KEYBOARD QUALITY.

Typing on my PB is a true pleasure.

Typing on the iBook was a pain, really.

I'm really surprised by that comment...my brother's gf just stopped by and was using my new iBook, and she said she prefers the keyboard to her brand new 15" PB. I don't really like any laptop keyboards (well, I loved the bronze PB keyboard, but that is long gone...)
  • Reply 14 of 19
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    If you're wondering whether you should get an iBook or a PowerBook, try to compare apples and apples at least.

Comparing a 12" iBook to a 15" PowerBook isn't very sensible.

Compare the 12" among each other and the 14" and 15". Makes much more sense.

Battery life keeps being one of the most important factors in favor of the iBook imo. Particularly for students and other people who don't have access to a powerplug for longer periods of time each day.

It's quite a difference when you can type 6 hours and 15 minutes on one battery with an iBook, vs 3+ hours on a PowerBook. In fact it's a ~150$ difference for the extra battery you'd need with the PB to get the same usability.

That makes the 12" PowerBook look seemingly overpriced STILL, even though it has a considerably faster graphics chip and some (only a few) additional features. Screen spanning is out of the question, that can be enabled so easily on iBooks, it's merely a question of wanting to.

My suggestion: If you can live with 12" and 1024x768, the iBook is the better choice. If you need screen real estate and high resolutions, the PB 15.2" is the only way to go.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Thanks for your input. I'm still torn!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I can't speak for the G4 iBook (I have a G3), but I take mine to classes and work all the time. It has been a wonderful comuter, and seems to take the traveling very well.

Then again, I make a real effort to take care of it because it is my only computer, and I would be in a real mess if something happens to it before I have enough saved to buy an iMac.

The iBook seems to be very durable and well made. It seems to me that those I know with powerbooks are much more worried about handling them.

Take a realistic look at your needs, and then make a decision. For many, the iBook would be an excellent choice.

Though I think it would be awsome if the 12" iBook had a SuperDrive and a backlit keyboard!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jarhead

I ...

Though I think it would be awsome if the 12" iBook had a SuperDrive and a backlit keyboard!

Superdrive is superpower but regarding backlit, it is a very nice feature but it drains energy like a thirsty sponge.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Thanks for your input. I'm still torn!

I don't want you fall apart Go for the PB