Unsanity teaser on ResExcellence

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
strange that ResExcellence has it, but Unsanity doesn't mention it anywhere...

this could get interesting...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

strange that ResExcellence has it, but Unsanity doesn't mention it anywhere...

this could get interesting...

They're probably going to include a way of redesigning your whole interface, ie, applying a whole new shell to it instead of retexturing the interface elements.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'd really like to see the kind of whole-scale interface refurb like kaleidoscope could do in its heyday.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I can't comment on the software itself...

But that logo and text is great design work. Definately a proffesional level ad there. Half of the stuff in magazines doesn't even look that polished. Congrats on that alone!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I like the idea of ShapeShifter, but APE makes OS X crash and so is not acceptable. I used to use it on Jaguar but when I took it off, no crashes. So I never went back. I didn't like to use Kaleidoscope for the same reason. I liked Themes, and I like OS X Themes, because they are simply changing files, not severely modifying running code. And I guess that is the price you pay; more customizability but more risk of crashing. I guess I'll stick with no crashing. I got used to no crashes.

The add is outstanding though. So is their software. Apple should hire them! I am incredibly impressed they brought WindowShades, Themes, Sounds, and everything else back...it was an OS 9er's dream. But I will wait until APE doesn't cause crashes.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    3 phases:

1. Newbs that don't understand their OS enough to mess with it.

2. Newbs can become geeks that finally understand their OS and find it entertaining to customize the fuck out of it.

3. Wise old users that are beyond customization and enjoy the purity of the OS.

Some don't make it past phase 1...like my mom.

Some don't make it past phase 2...many users here that also pretend like they are GUI gurus.

A handful make it to phase 3 and enjoy a stable OS and make the most of the native features.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Heheh... quite true to some extent.

I think case mods and overclocking fall into the same category. When's the last time you saw grandpa with a case window, internal lighting, and water cooling?

But we don't want to piss the tweekers off too much so let's grant them this. They provide the industry with a test-bed and dev-group for new technology.

Keep up the good work perma-stage-2ers.

(Maybe they're actually the super secret stage four?)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Unsanity at least now has it on their website. It is a differnt style then the posted one, but still introduces Shapshifter 2 on Oct. 26.

-MacRules101
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

3 phases:

1. Newbs that don't understand their OS enough to mess with it.

2. Newbs can become geeks that finally understand their OS and find it entertaining to customize the fuck out of it.

3. Wise old users that are beyond customization and enjoy the purity of the OS.

Some don't make it past phase 1...like my mom.

Some don't make it past phase 2...many users here that also pretend like they are GUI gurus.

A handful make it to phase 3 and enjoy a stable OS and make the most of the native features.

wow, you just described me perfectly. I had my phase 1 AND 2, and now balance on the border between 2 and 3 (e.g. i'll install shapeshifter, for example, and if it's causing all sorts of headaches, i'll revert to my hard drive clone and everything's back to normal).

• Reply 9 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    so what is it exactly??

• Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

so what is it exactly??

A utility that allows you to make the OS X interface look different by applying themes to it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    well, it's been released. if it's stable, then it is a great day for theming. it brings back all the crazy malleability that kaleidoscope brought OS 9. i'm running david lanham's great "somatic" theme right now, with complimentary icon set. if these guys and iconfactory and panic team up, there'll be nothing you can't do to the interface (good and bad). i just wish themepark was so complex, but that's mostly because there are just so many widgets out there to have to accommodate.