512MB RAM or 512MB of RAM??!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

Thinking about purchasing directly from Mac...since they are equal with pricing.

My question is...why is one stick of 512MB RAM more expensive than 2 sticks of 256MB RAM? Is it faster? Easier to upgrade?

|Pondering|\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    The space capacity of one stick is higher, which equals higher cost. you also have better ram expansion in the future. Ex. If you have 4 ram slots, and two are filled up with 256mb each, you only have two more slots to add to your 512mb. If you had 1 512MB stick, you have 3 slots open to expand.

If you can afford it, get the 1 stick of 512.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I see that you're using a Powerbook: definitely get the 512, since you have a very finite number of slots. On a G5, you wouldn't have to worry with the eight slots, but with the Powerbook's two slots, I'd get the single stick.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    How much RAM is it worth putting in a Power Mac G5 1.8 system? I have the bare 256Mb at the moment and checking in Activity Monitor just after the system has started shows 3Mb free!

I am wondering whether to go for 2x512Mb chips to make 1.25Gb or to really break the bank and go for 2x1Gb to make 2.25Gb total. I do tend to have a multitude of applications open at the same time but don't really manipulate great big video/image files. Is it worth the extra cost to splash out on the 2Gb?

<A few hours later...>

I think I will probably go for 2x512Mb and then next month get another 2x512Mb and put the Apple 2x128Mb in the cupboard or flog it on eBay. That will max it out at 2Gb but I can't see me needing more than that in the next 3 years.