What's the difference b/w DVD- and DVD+?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What's the difference? Are they two different formats? Which ones are for use with Mac Superdrives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    They are different formats and have different discs. DVD+ is technically apparently the most similar to the old CD- but DVD- tends to be the most common and is what Apple officially uses. What their drives actually support depends on what they use in your machine.

Practically speaking in terms of end usage the two formats are identical. Both store the same data and as long as you have a player that can support DVD+, not all do, then there's no problem playing the discs. In terms of actual technical differences I have no idea. I know the differences for HD and BR but DVD+ and DVD- seemed quite similar so I see the two formats as just something to annoy the customer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

What's the difference? Are they two different formats? Which ones are for use with Mac Superdrives?

Technically, the difference is quite complex - different dye specs, different laser wavelengths for writing etc. The primary reason for the difference is that DVD+ is slightly cheaper to manufacture - which is why Dell et al prefer it, they can put one into a machine for less.

In practical terms, the difference you note most is compatibility with older DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. While many support DVD-, fewer support DVD+. i.e. the cheaper approach leads to more compatibility issues.

I make wedding videos for money, so I'm interested in maximizing compatibility for my product, so I only use DVD-R - and when I do have problems where a customer's player won't play the disc, I just buy them a new player
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwi-in-dc

so I'm interested in maximizing compatibility for my product, so I only use DVD-R

ditto