loading an mbx file

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my copy of Mail.app seems to be having problems importing mbox files. i tried with files created by dragging the mailbox from mail.app to the desktop and also the export with mailscripts (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9178) i tried to import them with the import function but it keeps saying their invalid.

When i use mail scripts it makes a nice .mbx file. When i use the drag one, it makes a .imapmbox file. I would preferably use the mailscripts mbx file because they seem a lot more neat and inter compatibility.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    i never actually explained the problem, did i?

When i use the import, i select the other option and tell it the folder of either the mailscritps one or the other one. I it then says that the file is not a valid file. I have tried it with having the files be the only thing in the folder i select to import from and i have tried with there being more random files
  • Reply 2 of 4
    While I haven't had that exact problem, I have found in the past that overly large mailboxes (remember attachments stay embedded and grow the size of the .mbox file) can choke as they try to index.

I've had a few that consistently hang mail during the 'indexing' process.

The only solution was to create a new folder and backup the old .mbox (hoping for the day an ".mbox rescue utility" reverses this process).

Dunno if that helps, but if the mailboxes are huge, it may be a known issue.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    he files is about 1 meg

I actually figured a solution although not ideal. I drag the mailbox i want to the desktop and i get the imapmbox file. To restore that i first change the name to something else, then i, in mail.app create a folder called the new name of the imapmbox file. Not i take the account offline (required step to not overwrite data) and cope the imapmbox file to the place where mail stores it (home/library...common sense). I overwrite the one in the library folder.

BEFORE taking the account back online, i copy all the messages to a place "on my mac" then take it online. Now i can move those "on my mac" one into the right place on the imap server.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I experienced this problem also, however in my case the mbx files were created by PocoMail on Windoze.

I thought at the time it may be something to do with the different types of carriage returns on Windows and Mac (Unix).

Tried installing Eudora to do an import-export - no luck. I eventually just gave up on it.

Guess this won't help much, but if you find a solution pls post it. Thanks.