Ti Powerbook battery running out too fast...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I've had my Ti Powerbook for over a year and a half now and lately it seems like my battery is running out faster than usual...It still charges up to 99% but after using it for a short time (maybe an hour) the machne goes into a sort of sleep mode where the only way I can get the screen back again is to plug it in to an AC cord. And when I check the battery is says it's at 0%...

Has this battery had it after over a years and a half of use?

I figure I'll be getting a few extra batteries anyway but if there's any info out there I need to know please post.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    well, 1.5 years does seem a bit quick for a battery bit it does depend a lot on how you use it. Buy only what you need, if you buy 2 batteries and only use one, both will start aging (one faster than the other). It is better to buy one and use the newest battery possible until it dies.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    These batteries don't have a memory but age every time you plug them in. This is true for laptops, iPods, digital cameras, and other devices.

A year and a half lifespan on your PowerBook battery sounds short however. My Ti exhibits the same behavior, but its original battery is over 3 years old.

The solution, buy a new battery. I suggest one of the NewerTech batteries. They cost about the same amount but can hold more power. Compared to my stock battery, I'm sure I'd get at least another 30 minutes with a NewerTech one.

Back to your battery though... what is your usage pattern? Do you plug it in at home and at work each day, mainly running off AC. Sometimes I bet you do use the battery, but only when away from your desks. Share.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I usually have the powerbook plugged in.

I usually don't go on battery power unless I see that it's fully charged...

Would watching a dvd sapp the power out of the battery that fast??

What's a Newer Tech battery?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    DVD drives do sap a lot of power from a battery. I can copy 3 DVD's to a hard drive, unplug the power and watch them all or watch a single DVD using the drive.

Remember: The faster you discharge your battery, the more stress it endures.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I have the exact same problem.

TiBook 1GHz and with light typing and surfing I can manage barely an hour or so of work with the standard battery (with screen brightness at c. half of max).

I have found a bigger replacement battery, but haven't ordered/tested one yet:

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/g....cgi?p=a-52039

Even the battery on my 3+ year old IBM Thinkpad lasts almost twice as long as the TiBook battery

Just FYI.

cheers,

halcyon

PS If you do buy/test a new PowerMax or similar replacement battery, please tell us your experiences. I'm *this* close to ordering, but postage/taxes/customs fees from US to EU are going to kill me, so I'm hesitant...

• Reply 6 of 6
    My current battery in my Pismo lasts 6 hours. I've had it for almost a year now. I bought it from HERE.