OS X flaw?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i recently bought 10.3 and installed it into my g4 with quite enough power for it. After the installation, application "finder" isn't on (according to the dock). i can still see the desktop background, but there isn't anything on it, not even my HD. so i can't access any of my folders or files except through the apps that are on the dock.

is this my problem or os x problem

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Does this happen every time you start up the computer?

Try going to the Apple Menu>Force Quit, and then selecting Finder, and clicking Relaunch.

That should kick start it back to life.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I wouldn't be sure about that. I've had some finder-not-launching-at-startup problems before. They are not easy to fix.

Since you just installed OSX, I suggest you reformat and try again. Perhaps something got botched in the install.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Just be be clear, have you clicked on the Finder icon in the Dock to bring up a Finder window? Do you get the Finder's menubar at least? Check your Finder's preferences if you can see its application menu. Make sure you have the option to show your drives on the desktop turned on.

I'm wondering if the problem is the configuration of the Finder instead of a problem with the Finder starting up.