G4 Cube - GeForce 2 MX and a 20" Cinema display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My dad just got a hold of a Mac OEM version of the nVidia GeForce 2 MX video card for his Cube.

He got the card installed then hooked up the 20" screen.

The gray Apple startup screen came up but with a large black border around the edges.

The screen then turned blue for a short period then blacked out.

He went and hooked up his old 15" Studio display (LCD) and it booted up but theings like scrolling are totally screwed up. Performance is awful.

He is running Panther and I assume drivers for the 2 MX are already installed on the machine.

Thoughts?

Original card is a ATI Rage 128.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    First thing, careful with overheating with the Apple OEM version of the GeForce 2MX. Personally I underclocked it before sticking it in the Cube.

The black borders are probably because the output was a 3x4 screen ratio and the monitor is wide. It may blank out if the system chose a resolution or refresh rate that is not supported by the display.

I don't know what could cause the performance issues? Does scrolling work properly with the Rage Pro?

Panther does have the drivers for sure. Try booting in MacOS 9 to fix the resolution/refresh rate issue.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Oh yeah, ask the question at http://www.cubeowner.com. They are most helpful.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

The screen then turned blue for a short period then blacked out.

He went and hooked up his old 15" Studio display (LCD) and it booted up but theings like scrolling are totally screwed up. Performance is awful.

Thanks. [/B]

hmmm

I have run panther on my cube with geforce 2mx for more than almost a year. no probs. I installed a geforce3 car a month ago. booted up. all is fine

something is not working in the cube. or the monitor must be calibrated.

hmmm.

good luck !
  • Reply 4 of 4
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, it has problems when reverted back to the 15" LCD.

Only got the gray startup on the 20".

My dad is returning the card.

It sucks.

I got a total steal on the 20" screen for him. I tested it on mine before I shipped it.

I would keep it but I have an aluminum 20" myself.