RAM for iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just purchased my first Mac (12" iBook) yesterday at the Apple Store. I want to purchase a 512MB stick for it, but am not sure exactly which one to get. Will the item from the link below work for my new iBook? Thanks for your help.

Crucial Memory

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    The only thing that stops me from out and out saying "yes" is that it appears to have a different part number than the one crucial lists on their site as iBook compatible.

However, if it were me, I'd buy the one you're looking at at NewEgg. I just don't like to advise other people unless I'm 1000% sure
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

The only thing that stops me from out and out saying "yes" is that it appears to have a different part number than the one crucial lists on their site as iBook compatible.

However, if it were me, I'd buy the one you're looking at at NewEgg. I just don't like to advise other people unless I'm 1000% sure

The crucial will work, but I'd recommend the Kingmax

newegg.com

it's $10 cheaper, and has much better ratings (including at least one review from a 12" powerbook user). Also, this is the memory I ordered for my brand new 12" iBook, and it has been flawless.

hope this helps...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for all of the help. Quick question...

If I were to use the Kingmax RAM, will there be any issues with AppleCare? Thanks again.

JS
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by JarinS1

Thanks for all of the help. Quick question...

If I were to use the Kingmax RAM, will there be any issues with AppleCare? Thanks again.

JS

no, RAM is user-serviceable. and the kingmax fits the specs required by apple exactly.

by the way, installing the RAM is incredibly easy as long as you have a tiny (read: jeweler's sized) philips screwdriver. Or, I found that a very sharp-pointed knife actually worked better than my tiny screwdriver. oh, and the iBook is noticeably faster (less stressed under multiple apps) with the extra 512MB.

enjoy!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

no, RAM is user-serviceable. and the kingmax fits the specs required by apple exactly.

by the way, installing the RAM is incredibly easy as long as you have a tiny (read: jeweler's sized) philips screwdriver. Or, I found that a very sharp-pointed knife actually worked better than my tiny screwdriver. oh, and the iBook is noticeably faster (less stressed under multiple apps) with the extra 512MB.

enjoy!

I purchased this Kingmax ram yesterday. I am anxious for it to arrive. Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out.

JS