Want to demo a XServe for free?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
FYI:

You can demo an XServe for free for 20 days from MacMall. They have 4 units that they can loan out. Call my Mac rep:

Mac Mall

Robert McDonald

1-800-555-6255 x7030

[email protected]

Tell him "Dan from VHC" sent you. He helped start the "floating" XServe concept. I think its a great way to actually see, touch and use an XServe.

I am getting a demo unit soon myself. I hope to buy 2 XServes this year. Bye-bye ASIP! :0)

"Try before you buy"!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    are you serious? i'd love to get my hands on one. how far is he willing to ship them? i work at the U of MN, and have been thinking of getting an XServe as our current server is dying, but i wasn't able to talk the Dept. heads into buying one.

now if i could demo it first.....
  • Reply 2 of 7
    If anyone knows where to get this kind of service in the UK. Plz, lemme know.

Ta
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Mac Mall will ship it anywhere in the US, I dunno about anywhere else...

He will pay 1 way shipping, you pay the other way. Fair enough!

He will let you install anything on it too! MacMall cleans off the drives and does a clean install os OS X before it goes out to the next demo site.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    XServe is awesome. Don't need to test drive one as its sitting across from me now. (Just waiting to get deployed at our datacenter.) Only depressing thing is how noisy the blowers are: too loud for office use.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Dont know how many other UK'ers there are here. But my local Holdens (Southport) have said that I can arrange to spend an hour in their shop with a techi going over an Xserve.

Not quite as good as having one shipped to me, but not too bad.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>XServe is awesome. Don't need to test drive one as its sitting across from me now. (Just waiting to get deployed at our datacenter.) Only depressing thing is how noisy the blowers are: too loud for office use.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The XServe is meant to be rack mounted and installed in a server room. Not installed as a desktop unit.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Carlos_E:

<strong>

The XServe is meant to be rack mounted and installed in a server room. Not installed as a desktop unit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That doesn't mean it can't be used as one though.