DVD player Broken

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
the DVD player on my comp does not work anymore. I've tried restarting and running the mac's general first aid disk type stuff. It still crashes every time I open it up. Why is this?

I have noticed my G5 1.6 slowly dieing out. on the num pad my volume control keys and my CD eject key don't work any more.

I am running the latest version of of OSx 10.3.5 i believe.

Anyone know how to solve my two big problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The keys problem is mot likely the keyboard. Do you have any way of testing that assumption out? Either by replacing the keyboard, or using it with another computer?

As to the second, you would have to find the package (probably with pacafist) with the DVD player and try and replace it. You can also view DVD with VLC player...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    I am downloading VLC player now.

only other keyboard I have is the older ones that came with my G4(first gen G4, not the quicksilver one or whatever)

will that one even work with my G5?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    A USB keyboard is a USB keyboard.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    as far as the DVD player goes. I have been trying to figure out a way to just reinstall the DVD player part of the OS. First I tried that "software restore" program in the utilities, yet it requires some disc, thats gray and has two dots, I can't find it anywhere in my CD box, so IDK if I lost it or I am looking for the wrong thing. I tried the other 4 CDs I recieved with my G5(the three install disc and the developer tools), none of them were any help. I also tried version track for the program, yet they just had an update, and apple.com I couldn't find the program.

The other play that was recommended to me, doesn't seem to function properly with the audio for the region 2 dvds(I only watch region two dvds on my comp).

anyone can help me find out how to reinstall the DVD Player?