dual 2.5 and realistic noise expectations.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a dual 2.5 that made a lot of noise when I got it, so I complained of course: result was a processor replacement within two weeks. All this is now just 6 weeks ago and the problem seems to return. I'd like to hear from you here what to expect from my liquid cooled dual 2.5. noise-wise that is.

This is wat I'm experiencing now: constant fan-blowing, some sort of low hum. This I find normaal, more or less. However, quite a few fans come on all the time, unless I run the machine at reduced speed and that's even when I load just a few tabs in the browser (with nothing else running). Now, is that normal?? I get the feeling the machine is way noisier than the dual 2.0, eventhough promised otherwise when bying the damn thing.

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    my brother's dual 2.5 is generaly quiet. it seems like there's one fan on most of the time and you can hear the other fans kick in occassionally, but not often enough to be annoying. oddly enough, snood seems to peg his processor usage. i guess it's just not written very well.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    there is a small hum, but if it's too loud for you then you need to use an eMac for week. ANy ambient sound in the room trumps the G5's fans. The one fan that is really loud is the fan in front of the hard drisks. I think this is a firmware issue (cause why woudl the hard drives get hot when i'm surfing?) and will be fixed in 10.3.6. I'm very pleased with the noise of the G5. Sure it could be quieter, but unless your head is right next to it all the time you're not even gonna notice the fans. Even while rendering massive MPEG-2's it's pretty quiet.

edit: energy prefs--"highest" on my g5
  • Reply 3 of 40
    the small hum is ok, but there is serious fan activity, even when running at reduced speed, when I just load a few tabs in safari. That to me isn't normal. When I have energy prefs at automatic/highest the fan come on all the time, even when selecting a song in iTunes for instance. That doesn't sound right now does it?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Turn your AC on, keep it at 65°.

It's pretty obvious what the problem is:

You know those holes in the front and back of the G5? They don't block any noise whatsoever :X

If it gets warm in there, and the fans have to speed up, you're going to hear them.

End of story, put the thing on the floor.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    The room I work in is cool enough and the airflow is in no way obstructed. The noise I'm talking about is comparable to superdrive activity. No fun, seems I need to have my machine checked again
  • Reply 6 of 40
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I think this is a firmware issue (cause why woudl the hard drives get hot when i'm surfing?) and will be fixed in 10.3.6.

Those discs in there are spinning at a high rate of speed whether you're accessing them or not, so there's still heat generated.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

That doesn't sound right now does it?

I can only speak from my own experience with my dual 2.5 and, I agree, that it doesn't seem right.

I have my machine running three instances of Folding@Home 24/7. Both processors are maxed at 100% and I've only heard the main fans once or twice.

The fan between the SuperDrive and the HD comes on momentarily when I'm scrolling a document or holding the mouse button down for a long duration (as when dragging and dropping), but it's just a quick spin up/spin down - lasting no more than 4 seconds.

98% of the noise in my work area is generated by the three PC's next to my G5.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    It's quiet... quiet as my old G4 2x500mhz.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Have you run the diagnostic CD that comes with the machine? The one that came with my dual 2gig will check if there are problems with any of the fans.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    That doesn't always work - I ran the diagnostics cd before and it didn't 'see' that the processor was faulty. I have meanwhile been talking to Apple and will get yet another new processor and a new hard drive, because that's making ticking noises as well. As for the quality of the Apple helpdesk here in Holland, I am not at all pleased with the service they're providing and I can asure you that's a serious understatement!!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    and what about this on hardmac.com today:

G5, what will the future be? - Lionel - 14:58:06

It's now 4 months that Apple have unveiled the dual 2.5 GHz G5 Powermac. At that time we wanted to calm those of our readers who were disappointed not to get 3GHz machines. Yet 4 months later, it seems we did underestimate the difficulties met by IBM and Apple.

Though we just guess it, it is most probable Apple did overclock 2.2 or 2.3 GHz CPUs. The temperature of a full loaded 2.5 GHz CPU, despite Watercooling, reaches almost 90°C [K's note : my last year 1.8 seldom goes beyond 55° C] !!!

Even worse, Apple do their best to dissuade their clients and resellers to order dual 2.5 and tries to have them buy dual 2 GHz instead. IBM don't manage, despsite all their attempts to say the opposite, to get enough processors of that frequency. Of course their production is supposed to rise by 40%. Yet if the proportion of CPUs eligible to highest frequencies doesn't progress, the shortage situation won't be solved. 40% more of not enough, doesn't make any better.

That's rather worrying, don't you think??
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

and what about this on hardmac.com today:

G5, what will the future be? - Lionel - 14:58:06

It's now 4 months that Apple have unveiled the dual 2.5 GHz G5 Powermac. At that time we wanted to calm those of our readers who were disappointed not to get 3GHz machines. Yet 4 months later, it seems we did underestimate the difficulties met by IBM and Apple.

Though we just guess it, it is most probable Apple did overclock 2.2 or 2.3 GHz CPUs. The temperature of a full loaded 2.5 GHz CPU, despite Watercooling, reaches almost 90°C [K's note : my last year 1.8 seldom goes beyond 55° C] !!!

Even worse, Apple do their best to dissuade their clients and resellers to order dual 2.5 and tries to have them buy dual 2 GHz instead. IBM don't manage, despsite all their attempts to say the opposite, to get enough processors of that frequency. Of course their production is supposed to rise by 40%. Yet if the proportion of CPUs eligible to highest frequencies doesn't progress, the shortage situation won't be solved. 40% more of not enough, doesn't make any better.

That's rather worrying, don't you think??

I can't believe any one is surprised by any of this news. It's been fact for the past few months that 90nm (both IBM and all other CPU manufactures) are against a brick wall. We're not going to see 3.0Ghz G5 anytime soon. I got over than when I bought my dual 2.5.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    the thing I'm surprised about is that possibly the 2.5's are simply overclocked 2.2's/2.3's, hence the heat problems.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

the thing I'm surprised about is that possibly the 2.5's are simply overclocked 2.2's/2.3's, hence the heat problems.

that too doesn't surprise me (much) as the Memory in my Nvidia 6800 is also over-clocked... from 500mhz rating to 550mhz.. This is a common practice in the silicone business, basically the term over-clocked has no true meaning to the manufacturer since if they decide a piece of silicone can do it, they simply set the clock to that speed and send it out. The liquid cooling of the 2.5 is evidence of this since it's the most extreme measure any mainline computer has ever taken to keep temps cool. The way I see it, I have a 3-year warrantee on this machine, if it fries in that time, Apple will replace it, if not, then it's likely to last for the 4-5 years I plan to own it.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    I don't mind the overclocking at all as long as it doesn't have any negative effects on the quality of the product. It appears I'm far from alone in having problems with my 2.5. I was told it would be more quiet than the dual 2.0's and so far I haven't experienced that at all. That's why I'm worried about overclocking - sorry, just venting my frustration here as I fear my problems won't be solved for a very long time if ever, judging by how Apple treats their customers these days.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

I don't mind the overclocking at all as long as it doesn't have any negative effects on the quality of the product. It appears I'm far from alone in having problems with my 2.5. I was told it would be more quiet than the dual 2.0's and so far I haven't experienced that at all. That's why I'm worried about overclocking - sorry, just venting my frustration here as I fear my problems won't be solved for a very long time if ever, judging by how Apple treats their customers these days.

so call apple and complain. i'm sure a firmware upgrade will fix this problem. i mean there is obviously something different between your 2.5 G5 and mine, cause I cant even hear mine right now at all (not even the usual hum).
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

i'm sure a firmware upgrade will fix this problem. i mean there is obviously something different between your 2.5 G5 and mine, cause I cant even hear mine right now at all (not even the usual hum).

Sorry, already did everything you said, and much more, it's just not that simple. Like I said, I'm having my processor replaced again, so that's two replacement all within 2 1/2 months. No fun at all. Glad to hear everything works fine for you, there's hope for me yet When it works, the 2.5's are brilliant, when not, hmmm, it's all be said before.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

so call apple and complain. i'm sure a firmware upgrade will fix this problem. i mean there is obviously something different between your 2.5 G5 and mine, cause I cant even hear mine right now at all (not even the usual hum).

yeah, cause mine is quiet as I can expect from a machine with that much computing power...

I wonder if you don't suffer from that illness that many Apple users who bought a Cube suffer from..... Silent Mac Syndrome (SMS). I find guys almost obsessive about having a silent mac, and at the same time they want to render video at SGI discreet fire speeds, and run dozens of photoshop filters on 2MB images over and over.. people, that takes computing power, which in turn makes heat, which in turn needs to be cooled down, which in turn requires fans, which in turn make (some) noise.

Have you ever heard a dual Xeon machine? They are a lot louder, trust me.

Sure the G5 fans spin up for a few seconds once in a while, but if yours stay on for a long time, you're either taxing it to the max, or you need a firmware fix.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    My last post isn't aimed at you Macnoid per say, it's just a lot of guys complain about noise where there really isn't any... your case is different, you got a lemon... insist on a new machine.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixMac

I wonder if you don't suffer from that illness that many Apple users who bought a Cube suffer from..... Silent Mac Syndrome (SMS). I find guys almost obsessive about having a silent mac, and at the same time they want to render video at SGI discreet fire speeds, and run dozens of photoshop filters on 2MB images over and over.. people, that takes computing power, which in turn makes heat, which in turn needs to be cooled down, which in turn requires fans, which in turn make (some) noise.

Back in my day we had leaf blowers on our machines and we had to put them out in the snow or else they'd burn our house down.

And our laptops weighed more than we did AND WE LIKED IT!