Address Book: is their vCard industry compliant?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I took a small group of local contacts from my Address Book (small-43 entries), and exported it as a vCard ("Export Group As vCard..."). I tried to import the vCard on my WinXP box using various mail/address apps, including Outlook 2003. None of them would recognize the entire contents of the vCard. It's as if Apple's Address Book vCard format can support mutiple entries in a single vCard, but the rest of the industry does not support mutiple entries in a single vCard. I dont know anything about the vCard format. Can someone explain why I cant seem to import the Mac vCard on my PC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    By default, Address Book exports in the vCard 3.0 format. You can select the 2.1 format in Preferences, and see if that works.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I took a small group of local contacts from my Address Book (small-43 entries), and exported it as a vCard ("Export Group As vCard..."). I tried to import the vCard on my WinXP box using various mail/address apps, including Outlook 2003. None of them would recognize the entire contents of the vCard. It's as if Apple's Address Book vCard format can support mutiple entries in a single vCard, but the rest of the industry does not support mutiple entries in a single vCard. I dont know anything about the vCard format. Can someone explain why I cant seem to import the Mac vCard on my PC?

I can assure that vCards exported from Address Book can be recognized by Microsoft applications. As a test, I exported a vCard, attached it to an email and sent it to my account at work. Outlook 2001, the last Mac version of Outlook, does not recognize it as anything special. However, Outlook 2000 understands the vCard and all of the fields in it. As for the vCard format, it is an ASCII text format. Open a vCard in a text editor and you will see all of your data in plain text.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I can assure that vCards exported from Address Book can be recognized by Microsoft applications. As a test, I exported a vCard, attached it to an email and sent it to my account at work. Outlook 2001, the last Mac version of Outlook, does not recognize it as anything special. However, Outlook 2000 understands the vCard and all of the fields in it. As for the vCard format, it is an ASCII text format. Open a vCard in a text editor and you will see all of your data in plain text.

Have you tried a *group* vCard, as he described?