Gaming

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
okay, I got my first Mac yesterday and I'm a total noob but I love this machine. Now I have a problem, and I know it IS really simple and stupid, but I have to ask.

First. If I have a game on a CD, how can I run *.exe? this is a f...ing stupid question, but I just don't know...

Second. If I have a game as a *.bin and *.cue how can I launch it? With pc I would use Daemon Tools, but I have not found it for mac...

It sucks to be noob, but sometimes you just don't know basic things

And if you have some basic tips for noob, just say it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Most Mac executable files don't end in .exe . If you popped in a dual format CD (like CDs from Blizzard) two CD icons should appear on the desktop. If the first looks like it has PC files with .exe extensions & such, double click on the other CD icon and that should have the Mac files.

As far as .bin & .cue files go, check out www.versiontracker.com & search on those terms to find the programs you need to work with these CD image files.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    uiucuiuc Posts: 8member
    I'm a noob.. but I don't think you can easily run PC games on Mac. The game has to support OpenGL (is that right?. I don't have any Mac.. so I'm not sure.. though I'm interested in purchasing PB. I somehow know this stuff.. because my high school is geared up with Apple. I'm in college now )

If the game only supports DirectX, then it won't run on Apple.

I know that Warcraft III supports both.

You should start purchasing Mac versioned games.

As far as Daemon tool is concerned, I don't believe there is anything (I probably be wrong). Also, considering that OpenGL and Direct X issue, you won't be able to run it anyway.

ps. considering the nature of daemon, the word "pirate" comes to my mind Also, it's somewhat understandable if you used to own ultraslim notebook which doesn't have intergrated optical drive
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I dunno, I've made an image of the Diablo II play CD so I can play without digging up the actual CD. I can prove that I own the program (and Diablo I which I can't play anymore because I refuse to install classic ) so I can see this being a reasonable request.

I didn't want to raise the spector of the thread starter being a

based on their original question because there isn't enough damning evidence yet.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sorry man. I was kidding not seriously convicting you of pirating

Well, if pirating can yeild (somehow) that beautiful lady, I would like to do so as well.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    "lady" refering to the heroine of that movie...

damn i sounds like i'm a gay
  • Reply 6 of 12
    anyway, i so damn want to switch to PB rightnow, but the pain of waiting for possible jan update is killing me.

(I don't see the point of paying 2300 for 15 pb considering 14 in iBook costs 1400, even if I value better graphic, faster ram, 1.67 Ghz, etc)

Shoot...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by uiuc

Shoot...

OK ... BLAM!!!

I hear ya on waiting until after MWSF 2005. At this point I probably would wait until after MWSF as well, unless I seriously had a "I'll lose money without this laptop NOW" issue.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Running a PC game on a Mac thru an emulator is slow. If you need high frame rates you are out of luck. Best bet is to just buy the mac version of the game. Check out Virtual PC if you need to run windows apps,

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=virtualpc

If you are adventurous try the open source version, bochs

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/getcurrent.html

reg
  • Reply 9 of 12
    but in http://www.insidemacgames.com there is reviews of games like Call of Duty for Mac! So I think that I can play games like that, but I don't know how. Or is there different versions for Mac? And those *.bin and *.cue are wondering me.... I have thought that Virtual PC, but 250dollars is a bit too much for me.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Salli85

but in http://www.insidemacgames.com there is reviews of games like Call of Duty for Mac! So I think that I can play games like that, but I don't know how. Or is there different versions for Mac? And those *.bin and *.cue are wondering me.... I have thought that Virtual PC, but 250dollars is a bit too much for me.

Roxio Toast can work with Bin and Cue files.

Most games do not sell the Mac and PC versions together. There are the occasional games that are cross-platform, a lot of Blizzard's games are and so are a lot of the MYST series.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Thank you Jabohn, your replay was good, short and clear
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Salli85

Thank you Jabohn, your replay was good, short and clear

No problem!