new LCD stuck in wrong resolution - on OS 9 partition

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
new {used} LCD screen on my g4 tower

it booted up at resolution of 640x480

[a resolution i never use to use]

the screen icons are giant , unclickable, and most are off the screen and unseen.

i can't navigate to the control panel to change the resolution.

-g4 733 w/ superdrive

-2 main hard drives partitioned to 4 virtual drives

-recently replaced old trinitron with a used LCD

any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    the monitor isn't the problem

the computer is set to the wrong resolution

shut the computer off.

open the computer up and there should be a tiny button on a tiny square box.

hold that down for 30 seconds, close your case, reboot.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thank you. i appreciate the reply but it's a little broad, a little vague.

do you know what this button is called or if it is on something attached onto the motherboard? and what is it supposed to do - reset the monitor resolution to some default setting?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I think what you need to do is to adjust your monitor settings, on the monitor. That will bring everything into view, and you can then change the resolution.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thanks. i tried that and couldn't get things into view with the controls available on the monitor.

then something weird happened;

i booted up with the option key held down to change the startup disk. i accidentally clicked the arrow and booted into the same partition - and voila ! everything was normal?!

until the machine went to sleep.

then it wouldn't wake.

reboot.

back to resolution problem.

repeat startup disk proceedure.

viola.

confirm resolution.

so far so good.

thank you.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I would be concerned about two possible issues: your PRAM battery might be going, or that there might be a pin that is going on the monitor cable.

The test the the fist it so unplug the computer overnight and see if the computer gets the time right in the morning. You do have to make sure that the computer does not have a chance to sync to a NTP server before you read out the time (either turn off time syncing, or unplug the network before boot-up).

On the latter... well unless you can replace the cable, it is a nasty one. Eventually the monitor will be unusable. Replacing a pin on a monitor cable once it has become disconnected (or just out of true) is nasty.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks, i will look into the pram battery.

i also have a DVI connect on the monitor that i could use.