Studio / Cinema display corner is not as bright

regreg
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an Apple Studio / Cinema 22" that is almost 4 years old. The bottom left corner has lost some of its brightness. The rest of the screen is still good. I have done re-calibration and this does not change that corner. Is age starting to catch up with this monitor? Is there a utility that might bring the brightness back? It use to be connected to a G4 400 and now it is connected to a G5 dual 2.0 with a 20" monitor also connected. Disconnecting the second monitor does not brighten the light corner.

reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    well, 4 years in the computer world is a long time... but it still sucks. no ideas here...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I have the same display and notice it is not as bright as before. I used to run it a few clicks below maximum brightness. Now I run it at maximum brightness. I suspect that the problem you are seeing (an me too) is that the lights behind the display are starting to go out.

I don't know why one part of the bulb would wear out faster but I'm not well experienced in that area.

Do you think the monitor ever had a shock? I dropped an older powerbook and the result was funny lighting in one corner, probably due to some shifting of stuff stuff between lamps and the display.

I just found a web site that sells replacement lights for the cinema display.

http://www.monitoronsale.com/product...ductID=900220B

It might be worth giving them a call.

I've bookmarked it for the future.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    As for as I know it hasn't had any shocks, unless the kids did something. This has been a real good monitor and still has a good picture. I also maxed out the brightness and just don't use that section when viewing pictures. The area in question for me is 2" x 4 1/2". So it is not that big of an area considering to total area of the monitor. $20 is not bad for a replacement bulb if that is what it is. Thanks

reg