Pasting Word text into iChat windows... How?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi everyone. I've got a bothersome problem here that I can't find the answer to. I write for a living and I often IM with my editors via iChat. Oftentimes, I try to copy and paste text from Word into my IM window. I only paste small blocks of text... nothing more than a paragraph or so. But every time I paste text from Word into iChat, iChat thinks the text is a picture. Hitting "Enter" places a tiny black square, IIRC, in place of the actual text, and my editor never sees it.

Now, here's the interesting thing. If I fire up TextEdit and paste the Word text into a document there, then copy the text that I just pasted into TextEdit and paste it into the iChat window, the text appears fine. I don't even have to save the TextEdit file. So, what's going on here? Is there any way I can get Word text to paste into iChat windows, or am I forced to go through TextEdit?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Brian Perry

Owner, Infernal Funhouse Productions

www.infernalfunhouse.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamrin

Hi everyone. I've got a bothersome problem here that I can't find the answer to. I write for a living and I often IM with my editors via iChat. Oftentimes, I try to copy and paste text from Word into my IM window. I only paste small blocks of text... nothing more than a paragraph or so. But every time I paste text from Word into iChat, iChat thinks the text is a picture. Hitting "Enter" places a tiny black square, IIRC, in place of the actual text, and my editor never sees it.

Now, here's the interesting thing. If I fire up TextEdit and paste the Word text into a document there, then copy the text that I just pasted into TextEdit and paste it into the iChat window, the text appears fine. I don't even have to save the TextEdit file. So, what's going on here? Is there any way I can get Word text to paste into iChat windows, or am I forced to go through TextEdit?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Brian Perry

Owner, Infernal Funhouse Productions

www.infernalfunhouse.com

Word and Office apps are very problematic under OS X. MS made sure they were built to interoperate with themselves and not too well with other OS X apps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    So, does that mean that nothing can be done? Lame...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 4 of 4
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It's a pain, yes. I just paste into a sticky or into textedit, then copy again into iChat