A lot of questions about the iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

While searching for an MP3 player, even some Hardcore Windows friends asked me: "Why don't you get an iPod?". Since I haven't found any player with the functionality and certainly not the style of an iPod, I will most likely buy an iPod-Photo 40GB. But I still have some questions about it:

* Is the Hard-drive strong enough to use it for a weekly backup of my important documents?

* How long does the iPod take to "boot up"?

* How fast does the iPod feel when browsing?

* how well does Linux run on the ipod, who has tried it, does it take a lot of space?

* Is the iPod-photo capable of recording music hardware-wise (like after a firmware update or using Linux)?

* At what resolution does the iPod-Photo send pictures to the TV?

* Is it possible to have the music collection on one computer (PC) and all other data, like photos contacts and notes, on my Mac?

* Are the 15h battery-life real-usage or theoretical?

* how readable is the display in the sunlight?

* How long do the batteries last (2 years or more)?

* Are the included headphones good, or would I need extra headphones to get the full quality?

* Will the iPod get cross-fade features (is it capable of doing it after a firmware update)?

* Is the included carrying case usable?

* Is the iPod strong enough for everyday use? Will it scratch easily? Does it brake? What about it's dust resistance?

* Does the iPod-Photo feel big/small when compared to iPod4G 20GB?

* When I connect the iPod to my stereo, is the quality higher than if I connect my Powerbook through line-out Jack?

* How much space will I have left on a 40GB iPod (after formating...)?

* Are there must-have accessories? Which ones?

Thank you for any suggestions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    *Is the Hard-drive strong enough to use it for a weekly backup of my important documents? How much data are we talking?

* How long does the iPod take to "boot up"? it's an instant-on, except for the first time you use it or if you reset it.

* How fast does the iPod feel when browsing? extremely fast

* how well does Linux run on the ipod, who has tried it, does it take a lot of space? if you do it on a regular basis it can shorten the overall life of the pod. the hard drive is not meant for that kind of wear and tear.

* Is the iPod-photo capable of recording music hardware-wise (like after a firmware update or using Linux)? if youre talking about hooking up a mic to it, your only shot is a fairly low quality input that Griffin Technology makes for recording lectures.

* At what resolution does the iPod-Photo send pictures to the TV? i believe 640 x 480. Unless your standing 2 inches from the TV, it'll be fine. most people cant even tell the difference (other than aspect ratio) between standard and hi-def TV.

* Is it possible to have the music collection on one computer (PC) and all other data, like photos contacts and notes, on my Mac? photos and music have to be on the same computer, but everytihng else can be on another.

* Are the 15h battery-life real-usage or theoretical? totally depends on usage, but if your not switching songs every 5 seconds, you should get a really ice battery life.

*how readable is the display in the sunlight? its fine.

* How long do the batteries last (2 years or more)? again, totally depends on usage. (this is where booting an OS from the ipod can start to hurt you)

* Are the included headphones good, or would I need extra headphones to get the full quality? if your not an audiophile, theyre fine.

* Will the iPod get cross-fade features (is it capable of doing it after a firmware update)? i dunno, but i've sent multiple requests to apple for it.

* Is the included carrying case usable? yup, but i suggest one by incase because it doesnt cover the click wheel so you dont have to take the ipod out to change something.

* Is the iPod strong enough for everyday use? Will it scratch easily? Does it brake? What about it's dust resistance? get a case.

* Does the iPod-Photo feel big/small when compared to iPod4G 20GB? dunno

* When I connect the iPod to my stereo, is the quality higher than if I connect my Powerbook through line-out Jack? probably the same. connecting the ipod through the dock, then into the stereo produces great results.

* How much space will I have left on a 40GB iPod (after formating...)? probably something like 37GB

* Are there must-have accessories? Which ones? something for in-car usage. there are tons of great ipod accessories, but i cant afford them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    * Is the Hard-drive strong enough to use it for a weekly backup of my important documents?

Should be fine for backups. However, I wouldn't use it for normal everyday file access use.

* How long does the iPod take to "boot up"?

Like 5 seconds or something. At least for the non-photo ones, but I assume it's the same.

* How fast does the iPod feel when browsing?

Like navigating? As fast as you would expect it. It's mostly seamless. Sometimes it takes a second when you start using it for things to "kick in", but its not a big deal at all.

* how well does Linux run on the ipod, who has tried it, does it take a lot of space?

No clue really, but I've heard its mostly useless since it really can't play music with linux.

* Is the iPod-photo capable of recording music hardware-wise (like after a firmware update or using Linux)?

You can get a microphone attachment, but I don't think it supports line-in recoding if that is what you are asking.

* At what resolution does the iPod-Photo send pictures to the TV?

I would assume 648x486 NTSC or 720x486 PAL There is no mention from apple that it support HD resolution.

* Is it possible to have the music collection on one computer (PC) and all other data, like photos contacts and notes, on my Mac?

Best way to do this would be to network the PC and the Mac. Keep the music on the network PC drive and run it from itunes on the mac. This is what I do and it works perfectly - syncing the music over the network to the ipod through the mac.

* Are the 15h battery-life real-usage or theoretical?

Realish, if you don't use it. Meaning all menu navigation, picture viewing, random, EQ, etc. will eat up the battery quicker. But I would say it would last 15 hours of just playing music without ever touching it.

* how readable is the display in the sunlight?

Haven't seen the color display outside, but the black and white one is fine for the most part, as long as you aren't right in the sunlight.

* How long do the batteries last (2 years or more)?

Debatable. I suggest AppleCare anyway.

* Are the included headphones good, or would I need extra headphones to get the full quality?

They are fine for average listening. Anything more you will probably want nicer ones.

* Will the iPod get cross-fade features (is it capable of doing it after a firmware update)?

I would not expect this from the firmware. I think it has to do with the hardware.

* Is the included carrying case usable?

Don't have on. No comment.

* Is the iPod strong enough for everyday use? Will it scratch easily? Does it brake? What about it's dust resistance?

I will scratch - as soon as you take it out of the box in fact. I finger prints everywhere! But in terms of dropping its fairly durable. I've seen a couple ipods drop on concrete and continue working just fine, but I would not recommend it. I've never seen dust under the screen if thats what you mean by dust resistance.

* Does the iPod-Photo feel big/small when compared to iPod4G 20GB?

I played with it at the apple store and yea, i say its really noticeable, thicker and heavier. Personally I couldn't deal with it in my pocket, even my 3rd gen 15 gb ipod is kinda big.

* When I connect the iPod to my stereo, is the quality higher than if I connect my Powerbook through line-out Jack?

Not sure what you mean. Your powerbook playing itunes? The quality coming out of both is line level and is the same files, so it really should sound the basically the same.

* How much space will I have left on a 40GB iPod (after formating...)?

Expect to lose a few gigs, so probably 38ish or so. That's just a guess.

* Are there must-have accessories? Which ones?

The iTrip is great for the car and a case is a must if you cant stand scratching and fingerprints.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I won't bother with the rest. The short answer for this is yes. Just set the iPod up for manual synchronisation.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I won't bother with the rest. The short answer for this is yes. Just set the iPod up for manual synchronisation.

but then you cant keep ratings and play counts syched between ipod and itunes
  • Reply 5 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

but then you cant keep ratings and play counts syched between ipod and itunes

Ratings are copied when you drag the music to the iPod and I tend not to vary mine.

Play count syncing I never really cared about. I find it interesting to see what I listen to on the go compared to at my computer. That and I see play count a bit more as a novelty.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Ratings are copied when you drag the music to the iPod and I tend not to vary mine.

Play count syncing I never really cared about. I find it interesting to see what I listen to on the go compared to at my computer. That and I see play count a bit more as a novelty.

to each his own...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    As opposed to starting a new iPod thread, I believe it will be best to simply add my iPod question onto this one, so here goes.

I just purchased a Scion tC and in it is a Pioneer CD/stereo (it says so on the face plate). I can find no documentation provided by Scion or Pioneer that can tell me whether or not I can get an adapter similar to the ones Alpine currently offers to play the music directly into the stereo rather than use an iTrip (which I've found to be underwhelming in clarity even when used on several different freqs). I'm not sure how many tech people we have reading these boards, but if anyone has any product advice or can offer a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it. After using an iPod, I dislike the limitations placed upon me by CD's.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I went and found the answers myself after some digging in Google. For those people out there that want to know this information (includes more than just Scion compatability) I've included the links here.

iPod2car Connector

Car Compatability List

Now I just hope everything will work out well.