I could use some suggestions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I get continuous bin quit errors and shut down app errors since the last updrade from 10.3 to the latest release from apple 2 weeks ago. The update window suggested I should upgrade so I did. After some problem arose I tried to upgrade the apple software again, thinking there was a new patch and now the update keeps quitting there too. I Sent a report. Read some articles and uninstalled clear dock and ape manager but to no avail. Ran a program to clean up the font cache and that didn't work either. Not sure what the problem is, I type a word doc and it crashes, run clean cache and it quits, Not always but enough to really be a problem. Photoshop works for awhile then quits. Not always but very often. Itunes is the only app that always works.

Can someone suggest a guide on how to correctly reinstall panther 10.3 since I have little experience in this process. There is no info in the pamphlet w/disks.

I also have 9.0 installed and my system is a blueberry G3 and I have about 2.5 gigabytes of space remaining. Hoping to not lose my apps if possible but is sacraficial if there is no other way.

Thx for any feedback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    easiest thing to try is repair permissions. Open Disk Utility in Utilities folder and select your HD and run the Repair Permissions button.

If you still have problems, you can try other "clean up" apps that you can find on versiontracker for example.

Worse comes to worse, reset your PRAM (shut off mac, hold down Apple+Option+P+R buttons, restart your mac with these buttons still held down until you hear the startup chime a seecond time. Then let go and let it boot as normal)

If you still got problems, use your Apple Hardware CD disk... and if you STILL got problems, then use a util like Disk Warrior and/or do a full clean install of your HD.

If you still still have problems, throw your Mac out the window
  • Reply 2 of 7
    xdedxded Posts: 41member
    It seems I am down to reinstalling after all. Can't figure out the problem even after your tips. Can you suggest the best way to reinstall as I have no documentation on how to do it? thx
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm going to scoot this over to the Genius Bar, our troubleshooting forum.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    To re-install OSX, insert your 10.3 CD and either reboot and hold down the c key or select the cd as the startup disk under system prefs or double click on the install OSX icon on the install CD.

Once you get to the installation screen click ok to the license agreement and you will come to a screen where you choose which disk to install on. Click on Options and choose the re-install and keep user prefs etc. After the install re-run your updates and everything should be fine.

If you cannot re-install for whatevery reason and have to do a fresh install then make sure you have any files etc you want either burnt to cd or copied to another data disk/partition or computer.

Hope this helps.

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Do I have to reinstall all the apps again or if I save archive will all remain usable?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    archive install is your friend. You don't have to reinstall any of your apps.

If that doesnt work, start making backup of your HD and the startup from your System cd, low level format your HD, then do a full reinstall.

If it still doesnt work, then call your local Apple support to know what to do next
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Is it possible to set up another user account w/admin access and delete the original user account?