2.5 GHz Power Mac "coming soon" to Best Buy online

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer plans to make its high-end professional dual 2.5 GHz liquid cooled Power Mac G5 available for purchase from Best Buy's online store prior to the holiday shopping season, AppleInsider has learned.

An existing page on the Best Buy Web site reads, "From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy retail stores." A graphic on the page claims the product is "coming soon."

Best Buy's online store currently carries a large assortment of Apple products, but had not previously offered products from Apple's Power Mac line of computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The link doesn't work. Or is that not supposed to be a link?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    What's the point?

If you are shopping online, why not go to apple.com directly?

Maybe if someone gave me a $3000 Best Buy gift card? But, really, how often is that going to happen? If you think Best Buy is going to provide better service after the sale than Apple, you're too stupid to own a liquid-cooled PowerMac G5 -- you'd probably be better off with a LeapPad.

I could see going with MicroCenter or Small Dog, but Best Buy?! C'mon.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The link doesn't work. Or is that not supposed to be a link?

The letters "age" in "existing page" appear to be the only letters with the link, despite appearances. Slide your cursor over those letters and you'll see the URL pop up wherever that happens in your browser (normally at the bottom).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

What's the point?

If you are shopping online, why not go to apple.com directly?

Maybe if someone gave me a $3000 Best Buy gift card? But, really, how often is that going to happen? If you think Best Buy is going to provide better service after the sale than Apple, you're too stupid to own a liquid-cooled PowerMac G5 -- you'd probably be better off with a LeapPad.

I could see going with MicroCenter or Small Dog, but Best Buy?! C'mon.

I came to the forum to type my take on this but noticed that you took the words right out of my mouth. This is pointless. I'd love to see some statistics that show how this is going to expand their sales. A $3k Mac is hardly an impulse buy, so why sell it at a place like best buy?

"I'll take the new Jessica Simpson CD, a car charger for my cell phone, OH and I see you guys carry those dual 2.5 ghz G5's I've been wanting to pick one of those up lately."
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I think people are forgetting that more people go to BestBuy to buy electronics and computers than to apple.com. True they probably won't sell too many dual G5s but the exposure of these top-end products to the masses will help them gain some marketing.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I came to the forum to type my take on this but noticed that you took the words right out of my mouth. This is pointless. I'd love to see some statistics that show how this is going to expand their sales. A $3k Mac is hardly an impulse buy, so why sell it at a place like best buy?

"I'll take the new Jessica Simpson CD, a car charger for my cell phone, OH and I see you guys carry those dual 2.5 ghz G5's I've been wanting to pick one of those up lately."

• Reply 6 of 13
    I think it is just good PR, a plus for Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Maybe the Best Buy version ships with 256MB RAM...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    That could also mean that Apple is having more G5s than ever! Maybe we'll see an upgrade soon?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I agree, but only in part. Having a Best Buy card when they offer their "Same As Cash - No Payments until 2025" promos would be pretty cool.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This is good for consumers like my parents. I received an email this week saying they were buying a new iMac and could use advice.

My only advise was to get an additional gig of RAM but to not buy it from apple. At the same time, they'll also be buying a d-link 802.11g router, a printer, and a few other peripherals.

When a store like BB offers apple products AND reasonably priced peripherals, it allows consumers to deal with only a single vendor. For my parents, this is great because if they need support or to exchange something, they are treated like gold.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Amazing. Apple gets more distribution, and people still find a reason to complain.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

Amazing. Apple gets more distribution, and people still find a reason to complain.

Exactly, you need to get your products out there. If you just have them in one place and the majority of people are going elsewhere (ie, BestBuy) then you're missing a big part of the market and limiting your sales. Apple is trying to get out of the bag and this is one way to do just that. For those who are against it I wouldn't want to be in business with you.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Treated like gold? I'd like to know what BB your shopping at! Best Buy has notoriously bad after sale support as well as having some of the worst trained sales staff in existance.

When sending hardware out for service for example, the store very rarely keeps in contact with the repair depot. The extended warranty department does not communicate at all with the store and the managers have little to no actual power for customer satisfaction.

I recently called the extended warranty department @ Best Buy to retreive the warranty on a car stereo that had died, was told my warranty # and all, and was told that the store should be able to replace outright.. no problem sir..

I drove 70 miles to the store and got "oh.. no.. we can't replace this, we have to send it out for repair..", which they did.

I drove back home and two days later get a telephone call from the repair depot.. "It can't be fixed, We're authorizing a replacement, go to the store and pick up your new one"...

I drive another 70 miles to the store.. "We haven't heard anything like that from the repair depot..."

I dick around with the manager for 3.5 hours before he finally speaks to someone at the repair depot that knows what's going on.. "Ok... no problem.. here's your new one"

I get home.. and ... The new one doesn't work... it chews cd's up and spits out scratched, mangled disks..

I said the hell with best buy from that point on.. I now had a car stereo with a S/N less than a year old.. I called the manufacturer and sent it off to them by fedex 2 day.. 4 days later I got my new working stereo..

By the way.. FYI: This was BestBuy in Syracuse, NY (13202).. Which have a HUGE Apple Section... And the same store where I argued for 10 minutes with a Computer Salesperson about the fact that a P4 IS NOT! Socket 370.. what a moron..

DigitalNY