Audio Out on Powerbooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am getting ready to purchase a new 1ghz powerbook, and I was wondering what the audio out capabilities of the machine are. I just purchased a Kenwood home theater, and I need to know if, and how I can hook it up to the Powerbook. Is there anything more than just a headphone out? And what about the s-video to composite adapter, is there audio out on that as well? This will be my first Mac, so I am pretty new at all this, and not sure what they come with and how they work. Thanks alot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    You get a a headphone out for audio, and the S-Video out for hooking up to A/V equipment. The S-Video to composide adaptor just lets you use the S-Video port with older equipment that only accepts composite ('RCA style') video. If you are hooking the TiBook up to a home theatre system, for example, the simplest thing is to use the S-Video or composite out for the picture signal, and the stereo out for sound.

Surround sound is available via USB with some third party software and hardware, but i haven't tried this myself. There are also various USB solutions for getting a digital audio signal, like optical TOSLINK adaptors, which are fairly cheap.

-robo
  • Reply 2 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what about audio in? i dont see it, but i may not be understanding some of the symbols on the back...