Cloning my full disk to .dmg

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have gone NUTS trying to find out how to do this with just disk-utility. I really don't want to use CCC. The thing is, i do not want to duplicate the drive; i want to create a dmg of the drive to put on my external firewire drive.

The thing is, i backup my homefolder weekly but if my whole computer goes to hell, i want all my apps and stuff.

All this should be in the restore tab but i just can't find the option. I see restoring it but not backing it up. I have even tried with Disk Utility booted from the OS X CD (DVD actually i think) that came with my powerbook.

I am preferably looking for a simple step-by-step How-to on backing up and restoring (restoring looks easy) but i have yet to find one. I know ti can be done to a dmg file because of http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31030154346917 but it is very unhelpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---------------edit---------------

In typical "me" fashion, after search for moths and finally posting, i think i got it. I want to select the drive i am saving the disk to and then got to images>new>create image from [name]

Then to restore if i ever need it, boot from CD, open disk utiluty and restore. If that correct?

Maybe i would want to be booted froma CD to make the original restore dmg?

Once again, help is appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I have gone NUTS trying to find out how to do this with just disk-utility. I really don't want to use CCC. The thing is, i do not want to duplicate the drive; i want to create a dmg of the drive to put on my external firewire drive.

The thing is, i backup my homefolder weekly but if my whole computer goes to hell, i want all my apps and stuff.

All this should be in the restore tab but i just can't find the option. I see restoring it but not backing it up. I have even tried with Disk Utility booted from the OS X CD (DVD actually i think) that came with my powerbook.

I am preferably looking for a simple step-by-step How-to on backing up and restoring (restoring looks easy) but i have yet to find one. I know ti can be done to a dmg file because of http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31030154346917 but it is very unhelpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---------------edit---------------

In typical "me" fashion, after search for moths and finally posting, i think i got it. I want to select the drive i am saving the disk to and then got to images>new>create image from [name]

Then to restore if i ever need it, boot from CD, open disk utiluty and restore. If that correct?

Maybe i would want to be booted froma CD to make the original restore dmg?

Once again, help is appreciated

If you figured it out, then just do it.