Troubles with hard disk

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First I had "Keys out of order" and I couldn't repair my disk with DFA. Then I erased it with DFA and the problem wasgone.

But now, after some days, I alway get this message:

Checking catalog file.

Problem: MountCheck found minor errors.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Problem: Invalid directory valence, 2, 6165

I still can repair the dik but I assume it will get worse again.

Can anyone give me some advice?

TIA

10.2.8 and 9.2.2 on a G3 Beige with G4 ZIF 500

768 MB OWC RAM and Sonnet Tempo 66 PCI + Barracuda 80 GB. Pioneer 107 DVD drive and Radeon 7000 64 MB video card PCI.

(10.3.6 caused 'keys out of order ' problem... (?) - not compatible with Sonnet tempo)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Buy DiskWarrior. I normally avoid non unix apps to fix unix problem but its really good.

Try booting stand alone (hold down s while booting)

run fsck 3 times (it think you need to use /sbin/fsck_hfs)

do a df -k to get the device (/dev/disk1s10)

fsck_hfs -y /dev/disk1s10 (the -y says yes to repair)

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Also, if you do a simple erase with DFA, you actually don't strip the disk down and rebuild it - for that, you need to reformat. There could be corruption deep in the basic disk header that is propagating out later. Reformat will rebuild the disk from scratch as well as erasing all the information. Erase just makes it forget where the files are.

Ditto re: DiskWarrior though, it's an excellent tool for repairing disks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the advice.

I tried Disk Warrior under OS9 and it couldn't solve my problem. Reformat the drive will be the last thing that I try. Otherwise, I have to buy a new drive.

But I wonder whether the Pioneer DVD drive that I installed some months ago doesn't take too much power from the power supply of my G3 Beige.

I already had to remove one PCI card (scsi-wide) and one hard disk before my G3 was able to starting up under OS9. (OSX wasn't a problem then - strange)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    DW under OS9, if it was an old version of DW *FOR* OS9, isn't going to know about the enhancements to HFS+ in OS X.