New Powerbooks vs. 500Mhz RevA

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wondering what's the speed bonus with the new ones over the one I have now. I'm very tempted to upgrade to a 1Ghz model.

Basically: Can it run PS 7, Illustrator/Freehand, and other graphics apps really smoothly in 10? I would also be using a 15 or 17 inch monitor in addition to the standard screen, if this has any effect.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Well common sense is going to tell you that the PowerBook G4 at 1GHz is going to be at least twice as fast as the PowerBook at 500 MHz. But there's more:
    • The PowerBook G4 at 1GHz is using a 133 MHz bus, as opposed to a 100 MHz bus on the PowerBook G4 at 500 MHz.

• The PowerBook G4 at 1GHz has 1MB L3 cache to aid in performance, something the PowerBook G4 at 500 MHz does not have

• The PowerBook G4 at 1GHz has a better graphics card, which has EIGHT times the graphics memory.

• The PowerBook G4 at 1GHz has a DVI output for attaching digital displays, the PowerBook G4 at 500 only has a VGA output.

• The Firewire port is more than twice as fast on the PowerBook G4 at 1GHz than the PowerBook G4 500 MHz.

• The PowerBook G4 1GHz's screen has more resolution and is brighter.

• Reply 2 of 2
    Hmmm. Interesting play of events lately, and I suppose I should try one out at a store, even though I don't really have a lot of choice when it comes to buying one: I have some grant money that will go stale soon if I don't spend. I'm trying to think of something better to buy, along the lines of the grant, but nothing is coming to mind.

What a great position to be in.

Anyway, thanks for the overview. I was looking for some real world observations, but I don't imagine anyone actually has one yet.