The BMW M5 is a killing machine.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This thing can kill you with a touch to the gas pedal. The 2006 BMW M5 has a V-10 engine and has 507 HP. But, you can set the engine in "baby mode" and throttle the HP down to 400 HP. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13 flat. For the best jump of the line. You have to do this stuff and then put it in gear and the automatic SMG 7 speed transmission takes over and takes the M5 to the moon. The transmission is designed just for the M5 and the forthcoming M6. The M5 can easily go 155 MPH and with the speed controller off you can easily achieve 200 MPH. Unlike the M5's competitors from Mercedes and Audi, the M5 does not use a turbo or supercharger to achieve the 507 HP. The automatic transmission in the new M5 will make the clutch lovers forget all about the missing clutch. Unless you are one of those ignorant people they described.

Source: Road&Track magazine

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'll still take the Elise, granted it's a totally different car.

Roof: optional. And that's not a lame advertising slogan, that's a fact. The roof is a $900 option, if I remember corrrectly.

Damn, I love that car. I'm working right now on the logistics of squeezing a custom, electric turbo 13B job into it, because I'm not driving around in some glorified MR2.

That would give it Ducati-like power-to-weight.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Freaks

This thing (especially equiped with Campa) will go through you like a hot knife through butter. It doesn t have to move. You just have to approach it the worng way and you´re split in two. Thats how sharp it is.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

This thing can kill you with a touch to the gas pedal.

And this is a good thing?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yeah, I've been watching the M5 as well.

All that and normally aspirated...think what would happen if you did bolt on a turbo...yum.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I have a buddy of mine who just traded in his 01' M5 in for an 04' 760, and all though the 760 is possibly one of the nicest luxary/sport cars I have ever seen I wanted to strangle him for parting ways with his M5. That M5 was bar-none the most impressive vehicle I have ever driven and was classy-ass looking to boot. The same friend also has a convertable M3 with a Dinin supercharger that hauls ass....and it still never had a chance against that M5. I am very curious to see what the experts have to say about this beast and pray that my buddy decides to trade in the 760
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Yeah, I've been watching the M5 as well.

All that and normally aspirated...think what would happen if you did bolt on a turbo...yum.

The compression would be too high, and you'd turn your shiny new motor into a basket of craked heads/pistons, and bent rods. Yay boost!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The compression would be too high, and you'd turn your shiny new motor into a basket of craked heads/pistons, and bent rods. Yay boost!

Generally speaking, BMW engines aren't built for boost. As with the Nissan 3.5L V6 in some of their new vehicles, turbos don't add as much as one would think. Plus, with the M5, it would be hard to find space in the engine bay to get a turbo in there.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    As much as I loooove the ///M5, I got my sights a little more down to earth. All I want is a silver 2006 330i with the sport package. That new straight six in the 3 series has been boosted from 220 to 255bhp.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'll just hang out for my Aston Martin Vanquish... m.