"Toy Story 3" not Pixar?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As far as I know, "Cars" will be the last Pixar/Disney co-production. Now Disney is gearing up for Toy Story 3, according to this article. Let's wait and see what they can do with it. Personally, I think the Buzz Lightyear animated series was not bad, proving Disney can use the characters from Toy Story to make a somewhat entertaining story. But can Disney pull off the 3-D without Pixar's help? Will they simply use the models from Toy Story 2 or will there be further 3-D development? This will be interesting to observe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

As far as I know, "Cars" will be the last Pixar/Disney co-production. Now Disney is gearing up for Toy Story 3, according to this article. Let's wait and see what they can do with it. Personally, I think the Buzz Lightyear animated series was not bad, proving Disney can use the characters from Toy Story to make a somewhat entertaining story. But can Disney pull off the 3-D without Pixar's help? Will they simply use the models from Toy Story 2 or will there be further 3-D development? This will be interesting to observe.

this really sucks. i almost wanna start a campaign to make sure that people know this wont be a pixar movie. stupid disney.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    remember more than a handful of people at pixar came from disney.

if i'm pixar i just walk on. I think disney will be careful with toy story lll, and try to do do it justice, after its success they probably will do a direct to video toy story, a broadway play and a couple of rides.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Toy Story is pretty shallow, so I don't know what all they can do. TS2 was pushing it story-wise, so I am not eager to see what a TS3 would be like.

The Incredibles, though, that could be something. Too bad Disney owns that now as well.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Sacrilege. It'll be like infinity with no beyond.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Toy Story is pretty shallow, so I don't know what all they can do. TS2 was pushing it story-wise, so I am not eager to see what a TS3 would be like.

The Incredibles, though, that could be something. Too bad Disney owns that now as well.

TS2 was better than the original and both are arguably among the best animated films ever.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

TS2 was better than the original and both are arguably among the best animated films ever.

I think the first one was much better. I didn't really like TS2 at all.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Well the *true* detail of this is that Disney owns the rights to the characters, Pixar owns all rights to the models and animation technology. Disney will likely purchase these models from Pixar during development. Their own digital studio (which has been growing for more then 2 years) has their own rendering software etc.

So while Pixar own the tools and the tool box. Disney owns the name "Hammer" and "Stanley". Get it? K.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Tom Hanks isn't too keen.

plus note that Disney says it is developing two ideas, which probably means a direct to video for mach 4.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I was small when I watch TS, after watching it I thought my toys would come to life as well. scary!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    who is to say they didn't?

they always act like "toys" when humans aren't around or sleeping.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

remember more than a handful of people at pixar came from disney.

if i'm pixar i just walk on. I think disney will be careful with toy story lll, and try to do do it justice, after its success they probably will do a direct to video toy story, a broadway play and a couple of rides.

Wha-?!?! Sorry.. Are we talking about the same Disney here? The one that takes potentially fantastic material, slaps their brand name on it, markets and markets it until plastic and paper resources have run dry, and then releases a sequel!?

Surely not..

Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Sacrilege. It'll be like infinity with no beyond.

I like.

Jimzip
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Confessions of a Toy Story Tragic - Toy Story stuff I own:

- a bendable Woody (I'll just let that one go through to the keeper)

- several plastic figurines of the commando dudeys

- a "The Toys are back in town" poster (stuck to the fridge)

- a talking Buzz Lightyear

- a Buzz Lightyear backpack with fold out wings

Additional Pixar stuff:

- a Monsters Inc pencil case with matching ruler, pencil, sharpener and eraser

- a blow up Mikey (Chester here's a noose, why don't you hang yourself)

- a "Scarer of the Month" card currently featuring the name and visage of one George W. Bush

- a 3D Nemo scene with a mummy and a baby Nemo

- a plastic Nemo with a worm in it's mouth, attached to a string which when you pull and release it makes his tail flap (loudly) so he swims around in the bath

- a Nemo bucket

I know. It's sad. I was a deprived child.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Wha-?!?! Sorry.. Are we talking about the same Disney here? The one that takes potentially fantastic material, slaps their brand name on it, markets and markets it until plastic and paper resources have run dry, and then releases a sequel!?

Surely not..

I think Disney are one of the most over-rated companies on the planet. I have never understood what people see in them. Mickey was so frickin' wholesome, I couldn't stand him even as a kid. Merry Melodies and Looney Tunes were much cleverer and more sophisticated in their content. Not to mention the likes of Roger Ramjet, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, hell even Popeye.

Disney World didn't live up to my expectations either.

But IMO, better than any of Pixar's offerings was "Spirited Away". A kind of Pixar gone anime with gorgeous animation and a script that's like a cross between "Alice in Wonderland" and an episode of "Monkey Magic". If you're at all partial to animated flicks and you haven't seen it, grab a copy. Absolutely brilliant.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    OMG! are your toys still wrapped or do you play with them?

The thing i really admire about DisneyWorld is that it runs like a top. All businesses should take care of their business and customers so well.

Having said that all Disney World is, is a creative way to wait in line.

I agree with your toon assessment, I never got Disney cartoon, aside from mickey's "obvious" problems, i could never understand a freakin' word Donald Duck ever said.....and what's up with Pluto? Who's dog is he? Goofy's? Why would a dog need a dog? Am I starting to sound like a Seinfeld routine? Who ARRRRE these people?

Pixar didn't make Spirited Away, they just distributed it in America. and yes it is an amazing film, my kids (6 & 4) are riveted by it, and it's over two hours.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Pluto is Mickey's dog.

I pity da foo is diss Mickey and Pluto
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

OMG! are your toys still wrapped or do you play with them?

The thing i really admire about DisneyWorld is that it runs like a top. All businesses should take care of their business and customers so well.

Having said that all Disney World is, is a creative way to wait in line.

I agree with your toon assessment, I never got Disney cartoon, aside from mickey's "obvious" problems, i could never understand a freakin' word Donald Duck ever said.....and what's up with Pluto? Who's dog is he? Goofy's? Why would a dog need a dog? Am I starting to sound like a Seinfeld routine? Who ARRRRE these people?

Pixar didn't make Spirited Away, they just distributed it in America. and yes it is an amazing film, my kids (6 & 4) are riveted by it, and it's over two hours.

You bet I play with them! I don't go in for all that wanky keeping them in their box stuff. How cruel. The exceptions to this rule are my Gummi food collection because if I ate it I wouldn't have a Gummi food collection. And my Astro Boy pen. But that's a genuine and quite expensive collector's item a friend gave me for my 40th birthday. So Astro stays tucked away in his special Astro Boy embossed tin. But when I have to sign some really important document, Astro Boy will have his day in the sun.

I will give some credit to Disney. Twice I've used "You've Got a Friend in Me'' for little kid's dance performances. The first time we did it they played the characters (shhh, don't tell they'll want royalties). I got the sewing pattern for the characters. Woody and Jessie's costumes were straight forward but Buzz was really complicated. So I looked around for a pre-made one. The Disney Store in Canberra had a beauty but very pricey. So the mother of the kid playing Buzz has gone in there and told them the story. They offered, without even being asked, to lend it to us. Didn't even charge us a deposit. That was pretty impressive I thought (not sure Head Office would've approved though).

I know Pixar didn't make "Spirited Away" but I'd forgotten they were the distributors. I was trying to say it was really high quality animation a la Pixar but Japanese style. The guy who made Spirited Away (whose name presently escapes me) and John Lasseter have been friends for many years apparently. It was an interview I saw with Lasseter raving about it that first drew it to my attention.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    HAYAO MIYAZAKI is his name, I got a couple of other DVDs but the kids are going to have to wait a few years to see those. (Princess Mononoke & Castle In the Sky)

I was at a friends house and he has a whole closet of factory sealed toys.

Every time I visit he drags me in to see his new toys......urghhh.

once he was showing me his Star Wars sealed action figures and from the window I could see his four year old in the living room playing with a stick.

I still give him shit about it.