My Dual 4.25 Ghz G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was visiting pokerroom.com earlier today and it made Safari freak out. After my fans ran for a really long time, I opened up Activity monitor and it showed that Safari was using 170% of my processors' power. No other websites did this, and the usage still jumped consistently after log outs and relaunches of the site and Safari. So anyways, if you do the math, 170% of my Dual 2.5 Ghz machine would make it a Dual 4.25 Ghz G5. Is Apple hiding something? I don't think that this was a false reading because of how long my fan ran and its noise. I have never heard it run like that even in Motion doing real-time effects. Here's a screenshot. Safari is obviously at the very top of the list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I guess that 100% means one processor is fully busy. Therefore, 170% meant one processor fully busy and one processor 70% busy.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    170% is not an unusual number. One CPU makes 100% and two CPUs make 200% maximum.

As to what Safari is actually doing, I don't know. A few other apps, best example of which is Finder, occasionally takes up the whole CPU(s) too.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

170% is not an unusual number. One CPU makes 100% and two CPUs make 200% maximum.

As to what Safari is actually doing, I don't know. A few other apps, best example of which is Finder, occasionally takes up the whole CPU(s) too.

Like I said before, that was my first reaction too, but I have never seen Motion, DVD studio pro3, and final cut HD running hard at the same time go above 100%. Plus, it makes more sense that the "% CPU" is referring to the whole processing power of the computer, not jsut one processor.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Like I said before, that was my first reaction too, but I have never seen Motion, DVD studio pro3, and final cut HD running hard at the same time go above 100%. Plus, it makes more sense that the "% CPU" is referring to the whole processing power of the computer, not jsut one processor.

drumsticks is right, you get 100% per CPU. Pokerroom's java client was probably the culprit.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by discstickers

drumsticks is right, you get 100% per CPU. Pokerroom's java client was probably the culprit.

that still doesnt explain why apps like motion handling 4 streams of DV with some particle generators thrown in arent showing percentages above 100%.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

that still doesnt explain why apps like motion handling 4 streams of DV with some particle generators thrown in arent showing percentages above 100%.

A lot of motion work is done on the graphics card.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Breaking news: Michael Jackson enjoys the company little boys.

ipodandimac, you should spend a little more time with top. Many apps shoot well above 100%, and the ones you listed are among them.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Breaking news: Michael Jackson enjoys the company little boys.

ipodandimac, you should spend a little more time with top. Many apps shoot well above 100%, and the ones you listed are among them.

Top with a transparent terminal window is my best friend.

BTW... I was just out visiting my mom up in the big H... I see they opened an Apple Store in Burilingame. Finally!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    use this next time:

http://www.unsanity.net/ceepeeyou-111.sit

it's a menu-bar item that shows the usage of each CPU

been using it for years, works great and is very nice for when an app is on the brink of destruction
  • Reply 10 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Perhaps that site has a dozen animated gifs on it?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Perhaps that site has a dozen animated gifs on it?

I hate animated GIFs. I have them disabled, so I don't get the hit on the CPU. Then again, I use Firefox which just blows Safari!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by discstickers

A lot of motion work is done on the graphics card.

Also keep in mind that code not written to keep the pipelines busy won't ever show 100% utilization even if it is running by itself.

Distributed.net's RC5-72 runs about 180% on the dual G5 but it's hand-tuned Altivec assembly code.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

use this next time:

http://www.unsanity.net/ceepeeyou-111.sit

it's a menu-bar item that shows the usage of each CPU

been using it for years, works great and is very nice for when an app is on the brink of destruction

Yeah.. me too. Seems like it's very accurate and stable. Version 1.1.1 has been out for ages, no new updates must mean it's fully stable.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

sure it does, if you only need a g4 to do real time stuff in motion, then a dual g5 clocking 150% in motion would freak me out! mow rendering is a whole differant animal. hit that final render button in FCP and the dual g5 shows it's muscle over the g4 or single g5- cpu intencive work is where smp and 2xG5 chips shine.

it is true on any platform. look at the market for dual xeons or amd mp boxes - video post production, scientific math, and servers - that is pretty much it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    That would be really strange if his g5 was only a single processor one.

But sadly, it isn't...

Wouldn't that be cool though?!