Polar Express IMAX 3D

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just saw it last night. It was really awesome. The movie probably would have sucked otherwise, but the 3D large format was really breathtaking at some points. If it's playing in your area I would really recommend checking it out - that is if you don't mind a movie just for it's looks, the story was kind of bad. Growing up the Polar Express was one of my favorite books, more for the illustrations than the story. If you enjoyed the book's illustrations than you should really appreciate the movie.

I really wish more movies would come out in IMAX (3D or not). I saw Harry Potter, and Matrix 2 & 3 in IMAX and they were all really awesome. The sound and image quality is just so great compared to the standard 35mm format.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    It looks like a p.o.s. imho, but I'll take your word for it. I just don't see how size matters. Zombie faced, wooden "actors" isn't my cup of tea. Yoda, Nemo and Gollum might look great but they ain't humans either. Humans can't be done well enough yet, with minor exceptions.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

It looks like a p.o.s. imho, but I'll take your word for it. I just don't see how size matters. Zombie faced, wooden "actors" isn't my cup of tea. Yoda, Nemo and Gollum might look great but they ain't humans either. Humans can't be done well enough yet, with minor exceptions.

i thought the incredibles did humans fairly well
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I agree that they don't look "real" in any format, but they do look like an illustration. They are real in the same way a painting looks real. It's no photograph, but still life-like. Or should we just throw away all the great paintings ever made because they don't look real enough?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i thought the incredibles did humans fairly well

1. That's Pixar (yes, they are very good).

2. That's a cartoonish style.

I don't blame them (Polar) for trying though. I know I need to see it to fully be able to talk about it with any authority, I just didn't like what I saw.

I'm also not a fan of the "sweeping" camera moves that non-Pixar companies seem to love so much. Certain flythroughs just scream CGI to me and take me out of the movie. Pixar does a far better job of actually making a film as opposed to a bunch of CGI demos strung together. The "camera work" in Pixar movies is exceptional, whereas Dreamworks and others tend to go for elaborate impossible motions that come off as fake.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I just don't see how size matters

Because, when you actually have to turn your head to see the whole screen, you become completely immersed in the movie, it's not about making anything look more real or better, it's just about making things more immersive.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Because, when you actually have to turn your head to see the whole screen, you become completely immersed in the movie, it's not about making anything look more real or better, it's just about making things more immersive.

I've no doubt it's an immersive experience and probably nearly entirely enjoyable as an experience. I'm just worried if it's a good movie or not (since caring for the characters is crucial and humans being "realistically" animated typically fails to make me feel connected). I'll set it all aside and go see for myself with an open mind.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Zombie faced, wooden "actors" isn't my cup of tea. Yoda, Nemo and Gollum might look great but they ain't humans either. Humans can't be done well enough yet, with minor exceptions.

Just because I'm amazed no-one's mentioned it yet:

The Uncanny Valley