Problem with software update and links PLEASE HELP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey and thanks for looking at my topic, i really need help becasue i really dont know what to do.

everytime to go to update software it quits and asks me if i want to send a report. it's been like then for weeks, an i tried various times.

i tried to download it from the site, but i have no idea how to install it sice i only been on mac for 1 month.

also, when i get a messege on my msn that i have an emal and click on it, appleworks opens. i have no idea what to do to fix it. and it does that on every link that is on my mac (example a link on a traning program cd)

any help at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You sound like you have several problems:

1. everytime to go to update software it quits and asks me if i want to send a report. it's been like then for weeks, an i tried various times.

- You need to repair permissions. Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities.

select your HD the click on "Repair Disk Permissions" You might want to run this 2 times to make sure it corrects everything.

2. i tried to download it from the site, but i have no idea how to install it sice i only been on mac for 1 month.

- You need to have stuffit expander to expand the files you are downloading. If you don't have it get it here : http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html

- Drag the icon(file) onto the stuffit icon and it will expand. Double click on the installer and follow directions.

3.also, when i get a messege on my msn that i have an emal and click on it, appleworks opens. i have no idea what to do to fix it. and it does that on every link that is on my mac (example a link on a traning program cd)

- This should open in your browser as another browser page or tab depending on how you have it set up. Repair your permissions or try a different browser and see if you have the same problems.

reg