Did I delete an important startup item?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Yesterday, I was trying to speed up my computer, so I deleted all the startup items that were listed in my preferences. Unfortunately, I was logged in as system administrator, and I think I might have deleted an important one. Because now, iTunes won't open, Word won't open, and Safari is incredibly slow right now. Of course, these problems might be unrelated, but if there are some crucial startup items that I need, can someone give me a list please?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I only have 4 items in my startup items. None of them are required for proper startup. Weatherpop, iCalAlarmScheduler, Menu Calendar and GmailStatus.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by bibendum

Yesterday, I was trying to speed up my computer, so I deleted all the startup items that were listed in my preferences. Unfortunately, I was logged in as system administrator, and I think I might have deleted an important one. Because now, iTunes won't open, Word won't open, and Safari is incredibly slow right now. Of course, these problems might be unrelated, but if there are some crucial startup items that I need, can someone give me a list please?

Thanks,

Nick

Just to get it right, have you deleted all the startup items

OR

have you just removed them from the startup prefpane?

Just curious.

Another question: How many startup items were actually there?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Just to get it right, have you deleted all the startup items

OR

have you just removed them from the startup prefpane?

To put it in proper terms, did you delete start-up items from /System/Library/StartupItems or login items from System Preferences->Accounts->Startup Items?

In the former case you'd better reinstall the system. In the latter I would not worry at all (by default, IIRC, Apple installs only iCalAlarmScheduler and iTunesHelper).

I'd suggest usual troubleshooting tips like repairing permissions, deleting caches and preferences of affected apps.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I didn't actually delete them, just removed from from the startup items in the control panel. There were about 4. I think 2 were from my printer, but a couple had important sounding names with 'sysem' in the name..Sorry, I can't remember exactly, and my OS X won't start up so I'm in 9.

I think I've learned my lesson not to mess around in root all the time though.