Safe to buy Powerbook G4 at Christmas, or wait?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Should I buy the Powerbook G4 at Christmas or wait until later.

In 1999 when I bought the iMac G3, I thought it would last a while, but I figured out it didn't have a CD burner. Then 1 month later (2000) they came out with one that had a CD burner.

Then (2003) I bought an iPod Gen3. 1 month later (2004), they came out with iPod mini.

So what should I do this year? Buy it now, or later?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Judging solely from your history, I say wait. :P Judging from the fact that the ibooks were recently updated and that the powerbook has not had a refresh for about 7 months, I say wait. It is possible, as we know apple has done in the past, that apple might not refresh the powerbook line for a rather long time and it is also possible that even if they did refresh in MWSF the ship date might be a month or more from then. So, the best answer I can give, and probably the most common answer you will get, is if you do not "need" to upgrade soon then you will most likely get a more updated version within a decent time frame. It is almost like buying an eight month old computer, assuming you buy in December. I actually own a 1 Ghz G4 powerbook, bought last year and I love it. I think it is great and I really hope they don't change the casing but even if they did you could get an aluminum on the cheap once the new version is out. More options if you wait.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Wait until MWSF.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 21
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    safe as milk...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    wait.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I have been burned before wait.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I'd say wait too, at least until Macworld San Francisco, which is the first week of January. They might reveal a new Powerbook then, or details of a new one.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Wait, to buy before MWSF would be crazy. After would be OK if they just bump the thing and great if they introduce G5 powerbooks. The current PowerBooks are due for a speed bump and the hole PowerBook line is due for a comlete overhaul. Prefably you should wait untill they realease the G5's.

Viktor
  • Reply 8 of 21
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    wait.

and if you neeeeeeeeed something for under the christmastree (?),

take your crayonbox and make yourself a nice coupon that's worth 1 (one) next revision powerbook of any size.

(this will also stimulate your creative skills)
  • Reply 9 of 21
    There's never a wrong time to buy a PowerBook, but if you're not in a hurry, I'd say wait until January and see what happens.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Is iBook not an option? You could get the 12" which is a very good deal now, and sit with it till they update the PB's. Very small investment if you sell it before warranty goes out - and if you like it too much to switch to PB, all the better...

Nice suggestion gar
  • Reply 11 of 21
    resres Posts: 711member
    That's what I'm gong to do: buy the 12" iBook now and sell it when the new powerbooks come out after MWSF.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

That's what I'm gong to do: buy the 12" iBook now and sell it when the new powerbooks come out after MWSF.

Personally, I'm wondering whether I should sell my 15" PB or keep it. There's nothing wrong with it, but when the warranty runs out at the end of spring, every failure will be expensive as hell. I don't like to fret about hardware, I want it to be inexpensive and replaceable. There are other considerations as well (other computers and family). The one thing I don't worry about is when faster/newer hardware is coming, because this is quite fast enough, and I don't think the old hardware is going to experience a big price drop either. There is only so much you can change about laptops, and most of the 15" PB price is not because of the processor.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    It's like Soeren Kierkegaard says - slightly modified

"wait and you will regret, don't wait and you will also regret - wait or don't you will regret".

I would WAIT (the regret from waiting two months would be smaller than if you bought one before X-mas and a major upgrade showed in Frisco)
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Look at Macrumors.com's buyers guide... THen you know what we know! :P
  • Reply 15 of 21
    WAIT!

Then while you're waiting, it may be a great time to think about

your true current and future computer needs.

Why do you want/need a portable machine?

What will be your primary use for a new machine?

Until we see dual core processors, both the PowerBooks and the IMacG5's will be limited to single processor abilities.

Many who are not willing to wait are going for either the dual 1.8 or 2.0

towers which are far superior to ANY single processor machine and

for about the same price, providing you already have a display.

Even if Apple does release a G5 PowerBook after January, you can expect

a long back order, but then the G4 Powerbooks should be a sweet bargain in any configuration.

If you are looking for a tax write-off before the end of the year

there's nothing wrong with getting a cinema display.

If the money is burning your pockets BAD, consider a 3 month CD

at you bank. <">
  • Reply 16 of 21
    You have to also remember, that Apple might release new PowerBooks during the January, but real availability might be in March or April or even later.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If the current PowerBooks suit your needs, buy one. Any machine you buy is going to be obsolete before you've started thinking of it as old no matter what.

Also, some points in favor of the PowerBook G4:
    • The design is mature, stable, proven and reliable. The design, which the original titanium PowerBook ushered in, had a long, rough start before Apple really nailed it. The G5 could well go through a similar cycle, where it doesn't really click until the 3rd or 4th revision. Do you want to risk becoming a hardware beta tester just to have the latest and greatest?

• There should be some attractive pricing on the existing models if they really are being replaced. You could walk away tomorrow with a PowerBook and a few hundred bucks you wouldn't otherwise have.

• You can get one now, not some unknown number of months from now.

The bottom line is that if you buy what you need when you need it, and measure obsolescence relative to your own usage, rather than relative to the technology treadmill, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble and worry.

Since purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion, I'm moving it there.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

Should I buy the Powerbook G4 at Christmas or wait until later.

In 1999 when I bought the iMac G3, I thought it would last a while, but I figured out it didn't have a CD burner. Then 1 month later (2000) they came out with one that had a CD burner.

Then (2003) I bought an iPod Gen3. 1 month later (2004), they came out with iPod mini.

So what should I do this year? Buy it now, or later?

WOW you sound like leo laporte (see techtv in the good ole' days) He bought a G4 cube and got to work an hr. later where he read a relese from Apple that the thing had been killed - and PM prices were cut slightly...too bad for him he had opened it and used it to read the press release...or so the tale goes.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The design, which the original titanium PowerBook ushered in, had a long, rough start before Apple really nailed it.

Actually, the current PBG4 is based on the iBook design, which Apple nailed at the the beginning. The titanium had some weak points, but nothing that bad.

Regardless, MWSF is less than 1 and a half months away, if you can't wait that long, well then, your a little baby. Be a fucking man.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Here's my formula:

If you need it now. Buy it now. Otherwise...

Forget MWSF. Forget Trade shows. Forget all Tuesdays. Keep waiting indefinitely until a new model comes out. Wait 1-2 months after new model hit shelves. If there aren't any serious problems, buy. Then stop reading rumor sites about cool and new technology right around the corner.