Simplistic cut and paste of QT data?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright, I'll admit it, I'm not a media expert. If a file is DV, iMovie can edit it, but what I want is just the ability to cut large media files (.mpg, .avi, basically anything QT can understand) into smaller 'chapters', and also to take small files (of the same format) and splice them together into a larger one. Nothing fancy.

I *believe* QT Pro allows this, but without being 100% sure, I'm certainly not plunking down $30.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    afaik, qt pro only allows to cut/copy/paste .mov and pure .avi files ( non divx stuff ). mpg files won't work since all commands in the edit menu are grayed out. but you can always export to another format from qt pro if you don't mind waiting alot
  • Reply 2 of 5
    QT Pro won't cut/paste mpg movies, I think the problem is because the sound is multiplexed.

You'd have to use something like bbDEMUX on the file first, then edit both the video and audio tracks before recombining them.

I spied this on macNN, might be of interest.

http://homepage.mac.com/getclockwork...Sharing41.html
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I'm certainly not plunking down $30.

then you're SOL. if you really need to be able to cut and paste video, then $30 is cheap.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

then you're SOL. if you really need to be able to cut and paste video, then $30 is cheap.

No kidding. You conveniently left out the first half of the sentence.

What *IS* it with people lately that they can't understand simple if/then clauses in basic English?!? Jeez.

To the rest of you, thanks. That was what I expected the situation with QT Pro was, I just wanted confirmation. I'll keep looking for options.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    you might want to give this app a try. it seems to be able to edit quite a few different formats but it also costs $60.