G3 400 B&W

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am running 10.2.2 with 384MB RAM (not saying it matters, just giving a refrence)

Jumber Chart

What can i safely, without adding extra fans, overclock my G3 to? Also is there a place to hook up an extra fan in the G3, because I have an extra one i could put on the processor if needed.

What are problems of overclocking, i know that it can cause an unstable system but I'm more worried about completely messing up my processor that it won't work anymore. I heard that the one imacs with no fan automatically shutdown if they got too hot, is that tru for all processors or just that imac...and also is this even tru?

I'd love a faster system but need some info that it will be safe to a certin spot then i'm in a danger zone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MacAddict ran an article back in the day on this subject. Had a chart and everything on what to move where. They always kind of go on the low end, but they tend to say 50mhz is safe.

So 450 for you is totally safe in their book. Wish i had a link but I don't. Maybe try their forum or search the archives.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i found it thanks, do people on this board think i need to worry about frying my processor or just freezes and stuff?

thankz

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I think xlr8yourmac.com has what you are looking for. <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/OC.html"; target="_blank">B&W G3 Speed Settings</a>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thanks...i just have to find a place to put an extra fan on and i'll try to keep it at 450 from 400

also what is a godo way to mesure temp?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I have it running at 500Mhz, that is 25% the intended speed, will this fry my processor or will it just become unstable if it is to fast, i'm just worried about hurting my computer, i can always put the stability back
  • Reply 6 of 7
    If you go to xlr8yourmac you will see " that your milage may vary" . I got my G3/300 up to 350 with no problem but @400 it would not even boot. Other have had a 300 running @450 MHz! I backed up all my data on an toerh HD and let the computer run fold@home over the weekend with no ill effect and after that I have used it as before.

Going from 400 to 500 might even be a notisable speed boost 300 to 350 was not, so just go for it!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I am not worried about stability, I'm worried about frying my processor, do you think i can, i mean i am increasing it 25% that is what worries me, software fcan always be reinstalled, hardware dies and you have to replace it that is the problem