Dead PBook battery

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi. I have an 867 Mhz TiBook, that I've owned for about 1.5 years. I've used it a LOT in that time period, including a lot of time just on the battery.

In the past few days, the battery and/or power manager has fried. When I charge it fully, and then disconnect the power adapter, the computer will run for between 1 and 5 minutes before totally discharging the battery & going to sleep. Before this time, the battery worked fine. It takes the normal period of time to "recharge" the battery.

So a few questions:

1) My assumption is that the battery is fried. However, it seems a bit odd with the normal recharge cycle. Is my assumption correct?

2) Anyone have a source for cheap TiBook batteries?

3) If I decide to dispense with the battery at all & always run AC, a) are there problems with that? b) is there a plastic shell I can substitute for the battery, as in G3 laptops?

Much thanks,

Geoff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    The battery is probably dead. You could try resetting the power manager. There should be something in the KB about that. I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap laptop battery. Newertech has several. They run about $140.

You can run without the battery. I haven't seen a blank plate as there were with the G3 laptops.