iChat AV bandwidth questions?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can someone tell me how much bandwidth is typically used in an iChat AV audio only chat and also in video chat?

Reason - next year, I'm moving to a country with "capped" bandwidth and will likely have only 3 - 6 GB of bandwidth per month. I'm hoping to hand out some iSight cameras for Christmas to keep in touch with friends and family, but if I can only use iChat AV for a few minutes a month... well, that would be sad.

Anyway - I'm just looking for actual bandwidth usage for audio and video chatting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I Have Questions

Can someone tell me how much bandwidth is typically used in an iChat AV audio only chat and also in video chat?

Reason - next year, I'm moving to a country with "capped" bandwidth and will likely have only 3 - 6 GB of bandwidth per month. I'm hoping to hand out some iSight cameras for Christmas to keep in touch with friends and family, but if I can only use iChat AV for a few minutes a month... well, that would be sad.

Anyway - I'm just looking for actual bandwidth usage for audio and video chatting.

Thanks.

Man, *another* Triangle denizen??

Not entirely sure, but you can cap it internally on the video to 100/200/500kbps or 1/2Mbps, and audio is extremely usable over a 56k dialup connection.