Re-entering normal workforce difficult after freelancing?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been considering going back into the "normal" workforce with a regular salary and schedule.

But after freelancing for 5 or 6 years, I'm wondering how would employers perceive me. Do they see my entrepreneurial spirit as a sign of a person who is ambitious with leadership qualities?

Or do they see me as a potential risk?...a renegade who may dream about starting my own company again?

In other words, has my stock or worth lessened because I've been away from a "corporate" environment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I've been considering going back into the "normal" workforce with a regular salary and schedule.

But after freelancing for 5 or 6 years, I'm wondering how would employers perceive me. Do they see my entrepreneurial spirit as a sign of a person who is ambitious with leadership qualities?

Or do they see me as a potential risk?...a renegade who may dream about starting my own company again?

In other words, has my stock or worth lessened because I've been away from a "corporate" environment?

i think perhaps your over thinking the situation a bit. if you know your shit and your work is good, they will hire you. the main thing is not coming off flakey in an interview.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

the main thing is not coming off flakey in an interview.

Damn. I was hoping the flakey thing would work for me. \
  • Reply 3 of 3
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    The biggest issue you have to be concerned with is adjusting to the 9-6 schedule. I freelanced for two years. Before that I was a consultant who telecommuted for a year and a half. So I was in a position to work on my own schedule for almost four years.

I'm nocturnal by nature. My most creative time of the day is the evening.

It took a while to adjust to a "normal" schedule. It's also challenging to be creative at 9:00AM. But I have to say that I enjoy a steady paycheck with weekends off. So in that regard I'm fortunate.

But my years of freelancing/telecommuting were never an issue with my employer when I interviewed. As far as they were concerned that made me a self-starter and someone who could manage their own time well. So I'd say that was definitely a benefit more than a hinderance.