Apple Equivalent of Mouse Scroll Wheel

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I didn't know which section to post this question in, since it's a gray area.

In Windows/Linux, I'm used to using my mouse's scroll wheel to scroll up and down documents, especially web pages. Seeing as Apple sells mice with a single button and no scroll wheel, my initial reaction was that this scrolling operation was impossible on a Mac.

However, I realize that many GUI operations on a Mac are sometimes radically different from Windows and Linux, in many ways superior to those two platforms, so I figure there must be an entirely different approach to scroll though pages on a Mac.

So what is it? How does a typical Mac user scroll up and down pages, assuming that most Mac users keep using the standard Apple mouse?

BTW, does Mac OS X have scroll mouse drivers installed by default?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my ibook use the up and down arrows bottom right

i also got a cool mini wireless mouse with scroll from sams/walmart works great and didn't have to load drivers it's a logitech very nice and minimal hassle to connect, and
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

This is dumb. When you buy a PC you need to buy a mouse, or you get a mouse in the package deal. Basically, that means you're buying a mouse. If you happen to get one with a scroll wheel, you get scroll wheel action.

Guess what? If you buy a mouse with a scroll wheel for the Mac, you get scroll wheel action.

There's no difference, except that you usually can't get a scroll wheel mouse in a package deal with the Mac. Big deal. You can buy one for $10.

OK. I guess I bought into the myth that most Mac users insist that "all you need is one mouse button", and don't bother getting another mouse.

In this case, all I need to do is get a USB adapter for my Logitech PS/2 mouse, and I'll be golden.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

OK. I guess I bought into the myth that most Mac users insist that "all you need is one mouse button", and don't bother getting another mouse.

In this case, all I need to do is get a USB adapter for my Logitech PS/2 mouse, and I'll be golden.

Some Mac users think that (I'm one of them), citing ergonomic reasons.

However, we're all for freedom of choice, and MacOS X supports two button scroll mice out of the box. If you prefer one then there should be no problem using it

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, MacOS X supports five buttons and three wheels, all programmable.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Speaking as someone who uses the Apple standard mouse at home and work : and Safari:

Space, page forward. Shift-space, page back.

Occ. page up + page down, and more occ. home and end.

Occ. clicking the empty part of the scroll bar to scroll up or down a page.

Very occ. option-clicking the empty bottom or top of the scroll bar to move there directly.

Works pretty well, if I do say so myself.

I've never been fond of scroll mice. Though I do miss my four-button programmable Kensington mouse! Those were the days.