Apple eMac G5 on hold, G4 back in production

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer has returned its eMac G4 line of computers to production, despite indications earlier this Fall that the company was clearing inventory in favor of manufacturing new models.

Sources close to the computer maker told AppleInsider this month that Apple had anticipated releasing a major revision to the education-centric all-in-one desktop before the end of the year. The new eMac was to include a G5 processor and a significant internal component reorganization.

Instead of making its debut in the latter half of 2004, the eMac G5 was reportedly placed on hold, while eMac G4 production was restarted in order to keep up with demand. At the root of the problem appears to be IBM's PowerPC 970 G5 processor.

Reminiscent of the recent iMac G5 fiasco, yet not nearly as dramatic, sources claim a less than ample supply of G5 processors is to blame for the minor delay. And while the new eMac was to rely on the slowest available G5 processors, currently a 1.6GHz variant, inventory of these chips are being used to reduce demand for Apple's new low-end iMac G5.

This is not the first time a lack of faster PowerPC processors has reportedly slowed the evolution of Apple's eMac. In the Fall of 2003, the dearth of PowerPC G4 processors in excess of 1GHz resulted in October price cuts for the eMac line, rather than faster models.

Last month, sources noted inventory dumps and a decline in orders for eMacs at Apple's manufacturing facility, indicating that new models could be around the corner. According to sources, Apple now plans to introduce an eMac revision in early 2005. Additional details will be published when they become available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    well I feel better for letting my sister buy a new emac just last week! I wonder what "early 2005" means though? my brother wants one as well - is it worth holding off until what... february??

if i was apple right now id be kicking some serious ibm butt - just think of where apple would be right now if they could get their ideas into production and out the door without all these delays!

so is the new emac revision to be a g5 but in mid 2005, or a cheaper/beefed up g4 in jan/feb/march 2005?? its not (like all rumours) very clear...
  • Reply 2 of 76
    I think one of the major problems would be the strong sales of the base model in the G5 iMac range. While I would have expected the mid range model to have been a hot seller with the 1.8 and SuperDrive it appears that a G5 iMac for under $1,200 (educational price) is kicking out the door faster than anticipated. Actually, if you don't need to burn DVDs the 1.6 is very attractive, especially when it gives you more money to max out memory from 3d party vendors.

Another factor is that IBM might be getting better yields in the faster chips, reducing the available supply of the 1.6's.

Let Apple see how things are when the dust settles - they might end up putting in a kick @ss chip from Freescale in for 6 months.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    There was a time when IBM was our savior from the evils of Motarola. I guess the white knoght's armor is a bit tarnished about now. ow long until we here some good news, like processor yield was better than expected. It's good Apple only has atiny market share. Could you imagine the problems if they had 5% market share?
  • Reply 4 of 76
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't get the idea of an eMac G5.

Apple's actually going to design a new motherboard and case, and order low end CRTs and keep a different processor in production for a machine they make so little profit on?

Wouldn't it be simpler to debut an iMac with a 15" LCD and put a pane of glass over the LCD to protect it from school kids?
  • Reply 5 of 76
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The G5 starts to look more and more like the G4. It is a good thing that the Intel AMDs does not scale up as fast as they did 1999-2000
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Apple's actually going to design a new motherboard and case, and order low end CRTs and keep a different processor in production for a machine they make so little profit on?

Wouldn't it be simpler to debut an iMac with a 15" LCD and put a pane of glass over the LCD to protect it from school kids?

Good idea.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

If they can make an iMac with the specs you mention and sell it for the price of the current eMac then yes.

The eMac isn't just for school kids, for many people (myself included) the eMac is the only Apple Computer thats affordable.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    The problem I see is that Apple is developing a major OS release who's features will not be fully supported on all levels of their current hardware offerings.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    I don't understand what niche an eMac G5 fills. I had originally thought that they were going to start doing Education iMac G5's, replacing the SATA with IDE and using a combo drive, or a plain CDROM instead of superdrive
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Quote:

Nice idea, but it would be easier just to invent a pane of glass that can be put on top of the present iMac. A kind of shell maybe.

Quote:

This is not the first time a lack of faster PowerPC processors has reportedly slowed the evolution of Apple's eMac. In the Fall of 2003, the dearth of PowerPC G4 processors in excess of 1GHz resulted in October price cuts for the eMac line, rather than faster models.

I find this rather interesting since im in the alley for powerbooks... Powerbook G5's that is..
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Could this new G5-based eMac be Power Mac 9,1 in that plist file?
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Could this new G5-based eMac be Power Mac 9,1 in that plist file?

Not likely. Models that start with an odd number (like Power Mac 9,1) are usually pro machines.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

Not likely. Models that start with an odd number (like Power Mac 9,1) are usually pro machines.

[email protected]
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:

I agree. This is like re-cannibalization of their products. iMac cannibalize powermac and then emac cannibalize imac? In education market, it is norm now to use LCD, not CRT. Anyhow, I would be tempted to buy emac G5.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by luki_PL

[email protected]

Thanks for that info. It confirms what I said.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    What I find amazing is that IBM chip manufacturing cannot keep up with demand for 2% of the computer market?.

Intel has to supply what 90%?.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    IBM has been doing pretty well for Apple considering that it is all leading edge technology that even Intel is having problems with - a lot more problems than IBM.

One factor to consider is that the iMac may have been exceeding expectations. Another might be that Apple has been working with IBM in other areas and has given IBM higher priorities than a G5 for the eMac. Like a low power G5 for PBs.

IBM also has other customers for their factory - including themselves - so we really don't know how many chips they are delivering in total. I would say, however, that they are not doing too bad these days.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

IBM has been doing pretty well for Apple considering that it is all leading edge technology that even Intel is having problems with - a lot more problems than IBM.

One factor to consider is that the iMac may have been exceeding expectations. Another might be that Apple has been working with IBM in other areas and has given IBM higher priorities than a G5 for the eMac. Like a low power G5 for PBs.

IBM also has other customers for their factory - including themselves - so we really don't know how many chips they are delivering in total. I would say, however, that they are not doing too bad these days.

Even so, hasapi's point is well taken. The optics of this situation don't look good for IBM.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Even so, hasapi's point is well taken. The optics of this situation don't look good for IBM.

I too agree that hasapi brought a good point in the discussion. And how much time it remains until IBM decide if their microprocessor business became profitable or not?
  • Reply 20 of 76
    It's not clear to me that iMac is doing okay. Does anyone here remember what was the first quarter's sales number for imac G4? Sure, iMac sales grew at 60% this quarter, but it's new product and many has held back the purchase of iMac, since August. Apple's performance is very cyclical to the life of products and imac G5 is not an exception.

I would have to know how iMac G4 did when it was first introduced. Before such comparison, it is premature to judge iMac G5's performance. Most of powermac G5's growth in the future is pretty flat according to analyst's forecast.